Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Temp and time question on country ribs

Smokey came by the store last Saturday while my LBGE was cooking country ribs. I followed a recipe by Bob Z. in the BGE cookbook which
said to cook them at 300 for about 45 minutes. Smokey saw the temp. and mentioned that he cooks them lower. They came out very good (maybe a little salty from the 50/50 soy sauce/lemon juice @ garlic
salt overnight) but I wonder if they would be even juicer done at a
lower temp. over longer time. I also use a couple chunks of hickory.
What do you long time eggers think?
Just bought 8 pounds of boneless shoulder ribs ($1.89/lb!!) at Costco
and would like to try it again for Father's Day Weekend on Saturday.
What temp and how long? I plan to use the same mixture (maybe a little less soy sauce) but I'm open to suggestions here too.
Thanks in advance![p]By the way, I will NOT be at the store or cooking Sunday. I'm a Dad too.

Comments

• RumrunnerRumrunner Posts: 563
    cs2.jpg
    <p />grillnut at Norcross Ace Hardware, I cook mine at 250-275°, indirect, for approximately three hours, + or -. Any simple brine will work, those in the picture sat over nite in an apple brine. Keep in mind that whatever brine you use, cut back on the salt that you rub on the ribs/chops. I used a mix of hickory and applewood, but plain hickory is fine. Straight pecan would be good, too.

• Daddy PatDaddy Pat Posts: 32
    grillnut at Norcross Ace Hardware,
    I prepared some apple/cherry smoked cajun-style country ribs last week. I applied a cajun rub evenly over ribs, let them marinate overnight. Place them on BGE with dome temp approx 250* took maybe 3.5 hours they got rave reviews...Happy egging and father's day......Daddy Pat

• Thanks to both of you,
    I'm going to go with an apple cider soak with a little
    vinegar, worcestershire and cinnamon for the store cook.
    I think I'll try a cajun rib cook at home later on--sounds
    temptin. I like it a little spicy but I want to go easy on
    my customers and coworkers Saturday.
    Grillnut