Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brown recluse

Options
fishman10
fishman10 Posts: 21
edited June 2012 in Off Topic
I took these photographs of a brown recluse spider up close.  We find these everywhere in our house in North Texas.  Not a spider you want to get bit by.  Its not really fatal, few if anyone dies from a bite, but the bite does rot the flesh away and will leave lots of bad memories.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited June 2012
    Options
    When you get good at taking pictures, they will let you start posting at:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    I have been bit by the recluse and you are right, leaves some bad memories. Without treatment, I believe my hand would have rotted off. Brown recluse bite is serious stuff. Oh, nice photos.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    When you get good at taking pictures, they will let you start posting at:

Probably a spider forum out there too...

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    pics seemed pretty good to me....
    thanks.

that frigging thing just convinced me to put on shoes while working at my desk
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    pics seemed pretty good to me....
    thanks.

that frigging thing just convinced me to put on shoes while working at my desk
    your chances are probably higher to get attacked by a bear in your back yard
    :))make sure you put running shoes on
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Stike, you may want to check those shoes before you put them on.

Wicked looking critter their Fishless. I have seen one, but stayed clear. Just looking at it tells you to stay away....if you are lucky enough to see it first! Usually people don't.

Gnarly creature there.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Beautiful pictures fishman.  Before I gave up working for altruism (and left the hospital lab) I saw lots of damage those little guys did.  I try to keep a safe distance from brown recluse spiders and copperheads. 

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I lived in TX for about a year back in the 90's and got bit by one of those things. Middle knuckle on my right hand. Skin started looking grayish and running a fever. Doc cut the dead skin away and put me on antibiotics. Not the worse thing that ever happened to me (have a titanium rod in my right leg - motorcycle vs deer accident), but makes me real glad to live up here on the frozen tundra of WI where critters like those freeze out in the winter!  :)  Now, if we could rid ourselves of the ditch goats that like to run out in front of us as we are trying to enjoy an early evening motorcycle ride...
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

You are missing one photo at the end and that is a size 13 smashing the crap out of it.

Nice images!!

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options

You are missing one photo at the end and that is a size 13 smashing the crap out of it.

Nice images!!

Screw the shoe...this site's all about fire.  Where's the weed burner?  Kill it with fire!
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    @ stike

". . . that frigging thing just convinced me to put on shoes while working at my desk."

From what I hear that's not all you should be putting on!