Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Spare Rib Vs Babybacks cooking time?

2EgginBeagles2EgginBeagles Posts: 7
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking of smoking some spare ribs this weekend, and am curious about cooking times and temps.  I've always done a 3-2-1 (or a 3-1-1) on Babybacks at 250 degrees and had good success.  Are spare ribs cooked any different?

• KingRoverKingRover Posts: 115
    I do spares for about 6 hours, do the bend test when the meat starts pulling from the bones. I don't foil. Just indirect at 250-270.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 7,225
    +1 with KingRover-and if you have to half the rack use the toothpick test-inserted near the bone-no resistance means good to go.
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    spares are forgiving.  they can go 9 hours with no real ill effects. actually, they were the best i'd ever done.  but the 9 hours was a total accident.

they will bend easily, bones will twist, or try the toothpick test as lou mentioned.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • NibbleMeThisNibbleMeThis Posts: 2,254
    If you are using whole spares, 3-2-1 is about right.  But if you are using St Louis trimmed spares, I find those are about the same as a loin back rib (about 4 1/2 to 5 hours at 250 dome).
    Knoxville, TN
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    i find that 2 hours in foil is a good recipe for soup.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,495

Caledon, ON

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,366
    Stike. Bingo. I've never had to go 2 hours in the foil.
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,800
    Your spares MIGHT be done in 6 hours but that's far from guaranteed.  I did some meaty spares a while back and 6 hours wasn't nearly enough.  Use google and look for a ribs doneness test and follow one.  Don't go by time.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    The thing about ribs is they keep so well when you FTC, so always plan to get the done ahead of time.  They will be great when you take them out of the cooler and you can knock a few back and talk to the guests.
  • Jonathan1970Jonathan1970 Posts: 108
    Did some St. Louis cut this weekend using the Car Wash Mike method for Baby Backs. Cooked 3 hrs at 215, then 1.5 hrs at 250 before testing. When I picked them up the ribs were a little stiff, so I kept them on another 40 min at 250. After passing the bend test, I sauced and finished at 275 for another 30 min. The ribs came off tender, but not mushy or too soft. I did something right because we had nothing but bones left.