Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food saver question

eggo
eggo Posts: 492
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Cooked baby backs Sat and had one slab left over (no show guest - their loss) and decided to use my new food saver. I put two half slabs in same bag and vacuum sealed it and put in freezer. Has anybody froze cooked ribs?? If so, how were they when thawed out and heated. Hope I haven't wasted some good ribs.
Eggo in N. MS

Comments

• uncbbq
    uncbbq Posts: 165
    You haven't wasted them.  There are only two of us here now, and I'll smoke three racks, sauce them up, and cut them into meal-sized portions (your portions may vary!).  Vacuum seal and freeze as you did.  When we want ribs, we just pull out a pack and put them in boiling water until heated through.  I guess my standards are low, but I think they are great.  I also get to eat ribs more often this way, and don't feel like I have to eat an entire rack to have made it worth my while.
    You will be pleasantly surprised.  I've kept them for several months without freezer burn or taste issues.  We were cleaning out our freezer this week and found some at the back well over a year old--not great but as good as restaurant ribs.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Everything turns out great when you reheat them in the food saver bag.  Heat them right in the bag in hot water and serve.  I have a downstairs freezer full of "BBQ" in "one meal" serving sizes.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• You are golden. They will be great.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited June 2012
    I have food savored them 2-3 per pkg  cut into  individual ribs and when the grandson came home from school, pulled 2-3 and micro waved them.. Today 5 years later that is still one of his favorite after school snacks. Grandpa likes them also.
  • I will have to try the food saver for my leftover ribs. I always cook about 2-3x more than I need when having a party, then eat leftovers for the next ~3 meals. I am not complaining, but it would be nice to have ribs available at any time in the freezer.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Thanks all for the encouragement, I feel better about the ribs now. Think I am going to like the food saver. Did the ribs, some squash, blueberries, and some corn so far. Looking to do a spatch **** chicken tomorrow. Will probably try the food saver on some of that.
    Eggo in N. MS