Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to start a fire!

my65falcon
my65falcon Posts: 17
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
How do y'all prefer to start your egg?

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I just use the old fashion electric starter coil.  Leave it in about 8-10 minutes and take it out.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433

If I'm doing low and slow I shove the BGE electric starter right in the center of the firebox for about 5-7 minutes ,

For high heat cooks or anything direct I light in multiple places with Weber parafin starter cubes, or paper towels soaked in cooking oil and twisted. Then I let the coals get going and stir them around for an even fire.

• Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Two words - three letters each
    MAP - fan
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I start my charcoal using 91% alcohol purchased at Walmart. I use a pencil to poke a tiny hole in the seal and then  squirt a little alcohol in 4 places in a circle about 4 inches in from the outside rim of the charcoal. Then a little squirt in the center.  Wait a few seconds then toss in a match.

Alcohol burns clean and quickly starts the charcoal. It is very safe as long as you stand back a little when dropping in the match.  The warmer the day, the more  it evaporates before lighting and can cause a flash.  In the winter, it doesn't evaporate and I actually have to hold the match at the squirt points.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • zip lighters

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99

Natural wax/cardboard lighter cubes 2 to 3 for low temp

If I want a hotter fire quicker I use a charcoal starter bucket - bought at Wal Mart for $12.00

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Weed burner from harbor freight
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Weed burner from harbor freight

Keep that thing away from Michigan Jason :))!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    The dreaded Looftlighter.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Lazy and cheap one day I may do something else, but currently a few rolled up paper towels dipped in vegetable oil.
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    I use Weber starter cubes when I have them or the electric element starter.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I bought the heat gun hair dryer looking thing at Harbor Freight. I love it. 2 minutes tops.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Electric starter for all my cooks.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    I shove some crumpled up paper in the bottom draft door and light it. Works great with the high que grate.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    MAPP torch in a few spots.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    MAPP torch in a few spots.
    X2
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited June 2012
    I have a Weber chimney starter.

1/2 full for low/slow - get red hot using 2 sheets of newsprint, the dump in the middle-back of the firebox and cover with additional to cover  and only half fill the firebox (I have an XL).  this is good for ~18hrs or so... and add flavor chips as required.

Full  - get it red hot using 2 sheets of newsprint (maybe 7-8 minutes - less if I use an old 1500w hair dryer for a fan) the dump and mix with unused and add as necessary.

Although, YEMTrey's method looks like fun... 

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Why is it dreaded? I am considering one. Right now I am using BGE cubes and it seems I am the only one?
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Paper towel and a bit of veg oil is cheap and effective.
  • Mowgli
    Mowgli Posts: 34
    i am using my weedburner in the middel for three minutes if low and slow

and three to four places if i need real heat.

Works everytime.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Why is it dreaded? I am considering one. Right now I am using BGE cubes and it seems I am the only one?
    Well for most people i would say that if you use your egg alot you want a product that can keep up and save money in your pocket. I dont buy cubes because they are a one time use.. And eventually you have to buy more.
    I purchased a coal starter. Took about 10-12 minutes to get it going(followed by more warm up time) .. And three montjs later it died.

So i bought a looftlighter. Its fantastic. It takes about 3 minutes to get two areas hot... You still have to wait for it to come up to temp. But it gets the coals hot super fast.
    Good to hear. The majority of reviews have been great as well. I'm going to pick one up. Thanks.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Weed burner from harbor freight

Keep that thing away from Michigan Jason :))!

BRING IT OVER!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason

Now that I think of it, I am going to try and use my heat gun as a looflighter to see if it works. Up until just the other day when I bought an electric coil starter I had been using the BGE starters. I like the coil, however I am not sure how quick it will be for a hot (multiple fire point) ignition.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• I use a propane or MAPP torch.  The Bernzomatic TS4000 trigger starter accepts both.  I haven't noticed a significant difference between propane or MAPP, although the propane can sputter a little if held directly upside down.

Just out of curiosity, for those who use a torch, how long do you hold it at one spot?  Do you hold it there for less than a minute until the charcoal is red and crackling or longer (2-3 minutes) until a brisk flame is going by itself?
  • Doc_Eggerton

Now that I think of it, I am going to try and use my heat gun as a looflighter to see if it works. Up until just the other day when I bought an electric coil starter I had been using the BGE starters. I like the coil, however I am not sure how quick it will be for a hot (multiple fire point) ignition.

It will work, but watch out if it has a plastic body.  When I first tried I melted one within a week.  That's why I got the LL - no plastic around the heat.  It also gets a little hotter than the less expensive heat guns.

When I looked at metal body, really hot heat guns they cost as much as the Looft.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• michigan_jason

It will work, but watch out if it has a plastic body.  When I first tried I melted one within a week.  That's why I got the LL - no plastic around the heat.  It also gets a little hotter than the less expensive heat guns.

When I looked at metal body, really hot heat guns they cost as much as the Looft.

That is something I will have to watch out for. I may just not even use it actually, I am pretty happy with the coil starter.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Seems to be one of the subjects here that ignites (ha) strong oppinions.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    i hold my propane torch (head on a hose so bottle is always upright) in 1 place for about a minute or 2 getting the flame under some lump, then move to a couple other places. 
    Lately I've been putting the torch head in the ash vent with the nozzle aimed up at hi-que style grate, and the lump on the bottom turning the egg into a big chimney starter. So far so good with this style.  
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!