Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spare Rib Vs Babybacks cooking time?

Options
2EgginBeagles
2EgginBeagles Posts: 7
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking of smoking some spare ribs this weekend, and am curious about cooking times and temps.  I've always done a 3-2-1 (or a 3-1-1) on Babybacks at 250 degrees and had good success.  Are spare ribs cooked any different?

Comments

• KingRover
    KingRover Posts: 115
    Options
    I do spares for about 6 hours, do the bend test when the meat starts pulling from the bones. I don't foil. Just indirect at 250-270.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    +1 with KingRover-and if you have to half the rack use the toothpick test-inserted near the bone-no resistance means good to go.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    spares are forgiving.  they can go 9 hours with no real ill effects. actually, they were the best i'd ever done.  but the 9 hours was a total accident.

they will bend easily, bones will twist, or try the toothpick test as lou mentioned.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    If you are using whole spares, 3-2-1 is about right.  But if you are using St Louis trimmed spares, I find those are about the same as a loin back rib (about 4 1/2 to 5 hours at 250 dome).
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i find that 2 hours in foil is a good recipe for soup.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    ^:)^

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Stike. Bingo. I've never had to go 2 hours in the foil.
    Beers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Your spares MIGHT be done in 6 hours but that's far from guaranteed.  I did some meaty spares a while back and 6 hours wasn't nearly enough.  Use google and look for a ribs doneness test and follow one.  Don't go by time.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    The thing about ribs is they keep so well when you FTC, so always plan to get the done ahead of time.  They will be great when you take them out of the cooler and you can knock a few back and talk to the guests.
  • Jonathan1970
    Jonathan1970 Posts: 156
    Options
    Did some St. Louis cut this weekend using the Car Wash Mike method for Baby Backs. Cooked 3 hrs at 215, then 1.5 hrs at 250 before testing. When I picked them up the ribs were a little stiff, so I kept them on another 40 min at 250. After passing the bend test, I sauced and finished at 275 for another 30 min. The ribs came off tender, but not mushy or too soft. I did something right because we had nothing but bones left.