Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Holy Plate Setter, Batman!

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sometime ago, someone reported that they have received a plate setter that had a hole in the middle. We were all under the impression that it must have broken and suggested that it be replaced. We may have been wrong.[p]Last night, I was thumbing through my recently received Davens Ceramic Center Catalogue. Low and Behold, the picture of the Plate setter showed two different types. Yup, you guessed it, one had a manufactured hole in the middle of the Plater Setter. [p]Apparently all Plate Setters are not created equal.[p]Happy Grilling,
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Do they make a place setter for the small BGE?

• Unknown
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, I remember that issue and I was one if not the first to suggest it was defective...as I recall the poster came back and cleared it up that it was not a BGE product, nor did it have legs. In the end the posters seemed to agree it would probably work best if a pizza stone was placed on top to cover the hole otherwise there clearly would be a ceramic hot spot which could defeat the whole purpose. I'd say if you have already spent $$$ for a BGE why nickel/dime for some other company's pottery! ^oo^~
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Chief,
    I wish! I only have a Small BGE and would love one.
    RhumAndJerk

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    one feral kat,
    It was the Davens Pottery Supply Catalogue that started the whole Plate Setter craze to begin with. I think that it was either Char~Woody or KennyG that actually found it. Many people on the forum use their plate setter. [p]Davens is a Ceramic Supply company and what we actually are buying is Kiln Furniture. The reason is that it is made to take higher temperatures than we generate in the egg, therefore there is no fear of breaking.[p]Happy Grilling,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    one feral kat,
    It was I who bought the holy plate setter! Yes, it was manufactured that way. Only cost me $10 bucks and a short detour on my way to work to pick it up. I'll let the forum know how it performs soon as I get around to it.
    Jerry

• Unknown
    Options
    jerry, I wish to apologize to you and Rhum&J and anybody else who I may have offended about my remark that your plate setter was defective or inferior. In reading my post I see it came out wrong. Good luck! ^oo^~
  • Unknown
    Options
    one feral kat,
    It takes a ***LOT*** more than a comment about a plate setter to offend me - you're going to have to try harder!! (anyway couldn't see *anything* offensive about your comments). BTW, it does have legs.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    jerry, probably get a big black bubble in the middle of your pizza. Just eat around it..:-) (Dang I really want to use a phrase here)

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RhumAndJerk, In order to clear up these foibles or fables, neither KennyG or I can take credit for finding those tri legged pizza stones called plate sitters which they actually are. :-)
    The whole blame goes squarely on Mrs Jack Goceck, (JJ's wife) who spotted it while they were cruising thru a ceramics shop...JJ was amazed. Here was a workable piece of ceramic. He has many times tried to take credit for the discovery, but we are on to him now..(Said in humor JJ--Peace)...
    Cheers..C~W[p]