Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Recommendations needed for food vacuum sealers

NebraskaeggerNebraskaegger Posts: 26
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone recommend a good, economical food vacuum sealer?  I am looking at getting one soon and am interested to see what all you guys and gals use.  I don't need a big expensive commercial unit, just something that would get used a few times a month.  Thanks in advance for your responses!
·

Comments

• Food saver is the standard.

·
  • I've had a Food Saver for years. Love it.

Bed Bath and Beyond, with one of the direct mail coupons. Or Sam's.

It all you'll need.
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,706
    I bought a FoodSaver Vac 370 many many years ago and it's still going strong.  I believe it was one of the less expensive ones at the time so I think any FoodSaver will work just fine.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,947
    I use a Food Saver.  As CT said, it's the standard.

I'm not an expert on the different brands, but I know there are some inferior ones out there. We're not talking about buying a BMW here.  I'd go with a Food Saver .... $100-150.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,941
    You may want to look at a Foodsaver repair depot. They sell repaired and new units really cheap. I have the gamesaver turbo plus. It was just over $100. Great place to buy rolls and bags too. Personally I prefer having the roll inside the unit

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,711
    I own this one.. But got it at costco for 150.
    https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com/bedbathbeyond/product/detail.do?itemId=18695162&categoryId=&path=

Best thing about it is the marinator setting and cuatom bag size(good for ribs and butts)

·
  • Smoker_GuruSmoker_Guru Posts: 372
    I have a food saver that I've had for over 10 years and it is still going strong.
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,847
    I've had my food saver for 11 years, and all I'be ever had to do was replace the gasket because of improper care (dry rot)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 563
    Can people please comment on the different models?
    ·
  • Smoker_GuruSmoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Can people please comment on the different models?
    Are there different models?
    :D
    ·
  • Z_EggineerZ_Eggineer Posts: 563
    I see many different price points & models for Food Savers...
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    edited June 2012
    i bought the cheapest one they (foodsaver) make. works fine.
    i use it for fresh/aged/cured meats, mostly. i have no need for the canister attachments, partial vacuum features, etc.

got it at Kohl's on one of their sale days. maybe 65 bucks, tops.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·