Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Need some help on temp control

SookieSookie Posts: 322
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

Working on a standing rib roast today.  I got the egg up to about 200, added some chips, got my thermometers in place and put my meat on.  I closed the vents to about 1/2 open on the daisy wheel and about an inch on the bottom vent.  The temp slowly climbed, and it just kept going.  I did a couple vent adjustments making the flow smaller, but it still kept rising.  It's now at 253, and I wanted to slow cook at 200-225.  Short of closing it down, how can I get this temp down? 

Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks.

• DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    Close it down, keep an eye on it and when it gets back close to your range, barely and I mean barely open the bottom vent and the daisy wheel., 

The fire won't go out.  
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,499
    Not a lot of difference between 200 and 250 as far as the product goes. Duganboy has it right

Caledon, ON

• SookieSookie Posts: 322
    OK thanks guys.  I just didn't want it to go out.  The remote thermometer is the best.  I can watch it closely from here :)
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    i wouldn't shut it all the way, just a sliver.  trapped smoke from a dying fire is as bad as the smoke from putting it on too early (both from incomplete combustion).

think of a candle wick smoldering after blowing it out.  you do NOT want that
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Phoenix824Phoenix824 Posts: 243

agree with stike    leave open a sliver  I would not worry about a 250 cook vs a 225

Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • SookieSookie Posts: 322
    All done.  It has turned out absolutely gorgeous.  I did shut it down for a few and opened it back up, but the flame never fully extinguished so I think I'm good.  I can't wait to dive into it tonight and show it off to my friends :)