Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big cook underway - 40 guests

Options
NewEnglandEgger
NewEnglandEgger Posts: 104
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Today will be my first really big cook since starting with my BGE in March.

2 Pork Picnics have been going since 8pm last night. Serving Pulled pork 2 ways - East Carolina style and Sweet Baby Rays
40 ABTs are prepped and ready to cook
36 Umami burgers are prepped and ready to cook
20 Chicken Thighs with Dizzy Pig & Sweet Baby Rays
Hot Dogs and Kielbasa for good measure

I did a dry run on the ABTs and Umami burgers Fri/Sat to be sure I have a handle on them.
Overall, feeling very good so far...I am in the stall with the pork at 186. Hoping to be done within a few hours of the party, for a short FTC period.

And Mother Nature has decided to pitch in....after a monsoon yesterday, it is an absolutely beautiful morning here in New England!

I will try to pause for pictures as things progress, so I can report back at the end of the day.

Comments

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Get er' done!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I'm sorry, what was the address again?
  • NewEnglandEgger
    Options
    I'm sorry, what was the address again?
    Have fun and remember to enjoy yourself and not stress to much...

I am having a blast! The two Picnics are going to be to temp about an hour before guests are due, so that timing worked perfectly. Everything else is gravy! Having a stocked bar and a giant tub of beer on ice does not hurt! :)
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    "Having a stocked bar and a giant tub of beer on ice does not hurt!"

You don't have a pool do you? :))
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options

And a raft and a watermelon?    May need some rum
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

And a raft and a watermelon?    May need some rum
    oh lord. Let's not go down that road again..........................

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NewEnglandEgger
    Options
    Wow...what a day. Mother Nature did indeed cooperate...but it was close! The skies opened up 5 minutes after the party broke up, and we got about 2 inches of rain in 10 minutes.

Pork Picnics came out great. First batch of ABTs were cooked raised direct, and charred a bit. Second batch were done indirect and were a big hit.

Umami burgers were ok. BBQ Chicken Thighs with Dizzy Dust and Sweet Baby Rays were good.

Time went so fast, I was not able to stop to take any pics.
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Nice... I used to throw cooks for that many guests on my gasser and barrel smoker. I was planning on doing memorial day for about that many people, but my gasser caught fire and I ended up replacing it with an LBGE. Was not confident enough to do it on the egg, so I let it go. What size egg do you have? I did do Mothers day for 6, all on the egg, but can't wait to do a bigger party.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Hats off to you. I would like to try something like that one day. Gotta build up some courage and nail down a few more cooks. Sounds like a great time. :-bd
    Large, small, and a mini
  • NewEnglandEgger
    Options
    Nice... I used to throw cooks for that many guests on my gasser and barrel smoker. I was planning on doing memorial day for about that many people, but my gasser caught fire and I ended up replacing it with an LBGE. Was not confident enough to do it on the egg, so I let it go. What size egg do you have? I did do Mothers day for 6, all on the egg, but can't wait to do a bigger party.

I did everything on a single Large. It helped that I had the two Pork picnics keeping warm in a cooler to start things off. As guests started to arrive, I pulled the first one when we had enough people to warrant serving food.

The crazy part was....when the pork was done At noon...I had to load up on new lump, and I did a bonehead thing and used some from a bag that had been rained on the previous day while it was in the back of my pickup.

I struggled to get back to 300, which resulted in an emergency trip to Walmart for a fresh bag while guests we arriving, followed by the removal of fairly hot but unburned lump. I was able to quickly get back to 375 after changing out the lump, and things went pretty smoothly for the rest of the day!

I cooked the first set of ABTs, and then a full grill of burgers. Then the second Pork pull was done after the burgers were gone. By then everyone had eaten, and I shifted to Indirect to make another go at the ABTs. Second batch was much better.

Finally...I did 10 chicken thighs late in the afternoon.

Overall it was a success, and very satisfying to know my preparations paid off. (5:30 am ABT building, etc!)

From New England....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Sounds like a good ol' time. I'll be doing the same on July 14th...except I'll be doing 2 briskets, 1 pork but, 4 racks of ribs, sausage and roasted corn. I'm honestly looking forward to it!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • DevDave
    DevDave Posts: 40
    Options
    Sounds great!  I switched off of Sweet Baby Ray's as it was all HFCS.  How did it go?  Would love to see pics.