Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Tomahawk (Flintstone) Ribeyes

thebtlsthebtls Posts: 2,300
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Bone In 'Free Range" rib eyes; a.k.a. Tomahawk or Flintstone steaks tonight from our favorite rancher Missouri Legacy Beef. These were thinner than we usually order but they were Divine. Used our homemade Jailbreak rub.

Jailbreak Rub Ingredients – You determine the size of the batch you want to create, however if you use a portion of 3 as approximately equal to 3 Tsp. you will produce 2.8 ounces (or a couple of small spice bottles) full of rub.

3 portions - Granulated Roasted Garlic (20 g or .9 Oz.)
1 portion - Coriander powder (2 g or .1 Oz)
2 portions – Himalayan Pink Salt (16 g or .6 Oz)
2 portions – 4 Color Peppercorns (9 g. or .3 Oz.)
2.5 portions - Red Pepper Flakes (8-9 g. or .3 Oz)
2.25 portions - Dill Seed (6 g. or .2 Oz.)
2.25 portions - Yellow Mustard seed (9 g. or .4 Oz)

The key is to find the correct coarseness while adequately mixing the spices. The use of the Emile Henry Mortar and Pestle improved the first batch coarseness by replacing the blender mixing and grinding approach. Store in a well sealed container and always shake mixture before applying each time you bring it out. Enjoy!

Ingredients
4 Tomahawk Steaks
Jailbreak Rub

Directions
1. BGE to T-Rex (full flame) with grid raised 2"
2. Sear, flip, sear and remove for 5 minutes.
3. Return and cook one minute each side, remove and plate

Also boiled up some fresh corn and a couple crab legs; French bread with garlic essence and butter with peas and sweet tea; ending the dinner with a Pinot Nior.

imageimageimageimage
Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
·

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 7,563
    Looks like a damn good meal!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • Smoker_GuruSmoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Wow, ^:)^  Gotta try that rub.
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    Looks good !  Did you buy your crab raw?  It looks like Alaskan King Crab (I'm not real familiar with crabs), and they are always already cooked where I've seen them.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • ccpoulin1ccpoulin1 Posts: 386
    WOW!  looks great.  Keep it coming!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

·
  • michigan_jasonmichigan_jason Posts: 1,299
    Looks good !  Did you buy your crab raw?  It looks like Alaskan King Crab (I'm not real familiar with crabs), and they are always already cooked where I've seen them.

That is snow crab.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
  • thebtlsthebtls Posts: 2,300
    Thanks all, crab was pre-cooked; My son bought it, I think it was alaskan I don't eat it personally. The rub is a post on my blog if you search the blog for jailbreak you get the entire story there on how it originated. 
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
    ·