Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I get a DigiQ??

Options
waynedog
waynedog Posts: 14
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have been using my L egg for 6 months now and make butts often, using the "turbo" method where I cook at about 350 dome for 5 hours or so until internal temp is 195 - 200.  It tastes great to me.  Is it really worth spending $200+ on the DigiQ fan control and cooking at 225 for 15 hours or so?  Is the taste that much better?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I've never done a turbo butt, however the egg should do a long cook without any help. I have a couple of dig q's but haven't used them in years. Too much paraphenalia for me.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jesse749
    Jesse749 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have the digiq and love it. Just the extra peace of mind makes it worth the money.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    No
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    I agree with hi54...totally unnecessary. Learn to use Egg without a controller and save that money for other accessories or some nice meat...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I cook overnight all the time and don't even use a maverick anymore (unless it's something I am going to post here). I think the DIGI is kind of like my GPS in my car. I can't get out of my driveway without it anymore! I rely on it too much. 

I say give it a year and force yourself to learn the ways of the egg. Then if you feel you still want it, go for it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Save the $$ and as Cen-Tex says-learn the manual operation of the BGE-you will likely get comfortable enough to spend those $$ on other BGE accessories.  Easy for me to write as I don't have one-but don't feel like I need one either and a great majority of my cooks are low&slow of the 8-18 hour range-but to each his/her own.  The BGE will do it's magic regardless of who is minding the store :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.