Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time cook and do I need an XL Plate setter (?)

Options
Black_Badger
Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,
Just bought an XL Egg at Eggfest and am getting ready to fire up the Egg for the first time. Tried a bunch of good stuff at Eggfest, but am wondering what I should try for my first cook. I don't want to do anything too major until I get used to fuel burn rate, etc, so I was thinking maybe burgers or carne asada. Any thoughts on this?

Second, I did not yet buy the plate setter but EVERYONE at Eggfest was using it. Seems like a neccesary purchase. Anyone have a used XL plate setter for sale, or have a lead on where to get one for less than $140? That's a lot to spend on top of the cost of the Egg. Are there any alternatives that are worth considering?

Thanks for any advice or comments.

Cheers -
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I think there are some alternatives on ceramic grill stores website, but don't quote me on that. I have a medium and less accessories than most.

Carne Asada sounds good.. BGE says don't bring egg over 350 first few cooks to avoid gasket going bad, but regardless they have a high fail rate.
  • Iceman5705
    Iceman5705 Posts: 83
    Options
    Plate setter a must for low and slow cooks. I realize it is expensive but really is a good investment as you will have consistent cooks and consistent results.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options

Below is a great web-site for about all the intro information you could use to get the most out of your BGE.  The platesetter or some sort of heat deflector is an essential piece of gear if you plan to do low&slow cooks.  There are several ways to get there-platesetter-gear from the ceramic grill store, another grate (I use a weber) and some fire bricks.  Basically you want to shield the cooking surface from the direct heat-thus the "indirect" cook term. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smokeyturkey
    Options
    The plate setter is essential for doing anything that requires slow cooking, such as a smoked turkey or BBQ chicken parts.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited June 2012
    Options

I would reconmend lighting the egg and get it to hold a 375 dome temp. I have an xl and don't use the top Daisy wheel for any cooks over 300

After it is burning clear and you have held the temp at 350-375 for 30 minutes. Put on a spachcock chicken ,or pieces, or beer can. You can cook all of those direct.

When you start your fire only start on one location, so if you want you can move what ever your cooking around to not so direct heat if you want.

Leave the lid closed and you won't have to worry about flare ups

After chicken is done open up lower vent about 2 inches. Temp should go to 500. After eating leave the lid closed and roast marshmellows over top vent. The best!

Close the vents, put the Daisy wheel inside the egg. Put on the rain cap and plan tomorrow's cook.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Skip the plate setter and buy and adjustable rig and stones from ceramic grill store. It's a little more $ but you will never need anything else. Talk to Tom. He'll take care of you.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/xl-adjustable-rig.html

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Cook whatever your comfortable with, or whatever you have in the fridge or freezer. Relax and have fun!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cook whatever your comfortable with, or whatever you have in the fridge or freezer. Relax and have fun!

+1. Cook something you are good at so you realize the difference right off the bat. Grill up some burgers or wings or something simple. It won't taste simple.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Brownie
    Options
    Forgot to add, I wish I would have heard about the Ceramic Grill Store options when I stared out. I originally got a platesetter, but the adjustable rigs and other options they offer are truly versatile, and a little extra start up cash for one will save you money in the long run. Adjustable rig  is definitely in my near future.
  • Nebraskaegger
    Options
    I have both the XL spider/pizza stone(17.5 inch) from ceramic grill store and the BGE platesetter.  I use them interchangeably.  They both serve the same purpose but the combination of the spider and stone is probably more versatile and cheaper.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Skip the plate setter and buy and adjustable rig and stones from ceramic grill store. It's a little more $ but you will never need anything else. Talk to Tom. He'll take care of you.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/xl-adjustable-rig.html

Listen to this advice....

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    Check out the ceramic grill store.    I wish I would have known about before I bought the plate setter.   I don't regret the plate setter but I think they have some things that are more verstile.     Especially if you want to wok at some point in time or drop you grill grate down close to the coals for  a great sear.    It will all depend upon how you want to cook and what you want to cook.   
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Plate setter a must for low and slow cooks. I realize it is expensive but really is a good investment as you will have consistent cooks and consistent results.

Well said. Love mine.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Thanks All,
    Think I'm leaning towards to XL adjustable w/ stone, seems very versatile. I do have one follow up question. I heard from an experienced cook during Eggfest that the positioning of the platesetter legs was vital to getting cook even cooking (back leg away from lower aperture), but it looks like I won't have that option with the adjustable setup and stone. Anyone have strong thoughts about this idea? How vital is it to have the platesetter aligned with the leg opposite the lower door?

Also thought I'd follow up on my first cook in case someone can learn something from it (especially me...). I started BGE lump in the Weber chimney you can see in the photo below. I ended up using two peices of newspaper, the second dipped in olive oil, and that got it going well. While the chimney was full it didn't fill the firebox on the XL egg. I'm guessing I can get one chimney going then add lump on top before getting going, for longer cooks in the future. Egg came up to temp quickly although I did need to play with the top and bottom openings a fair bit since there was not really enough lump to get things hot really fast. Ended up with a mixed grill of veg skewers, sausages (brats, chicken sausage and pork/jalapeno) and some carne asada. All cooked up hot and fast using direct heat. Everything was delicious, juicy and done in just a few minutes. I couldn't be happier with the maiden voyage, and I'm really excited about future cooks and more complex recipes/techniques.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Brownie
    Options
    Wow a virgin XL. I can assure you it won't look that clean for long once you realize the eggs true potential. Looks great.
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    Options
    $140 for a xl plate setter. Don't know but that seems like alot. I bought mine for $92 from my BGE guy. Need to shop around before your purchase. These guys are right about getting more for your money from the ceramic shop! Good luck and happy grillin.
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    edited June 2012
    Options
    No need for the chimney.   I just pour the lump in the bottom up to the ring.    Get some fire starters or as some people have said paper towel with oil and start the lump in the egg.    You will never get enough lump in the chimney. 
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    I think I paid 60ish for mine with my XL. That seems high.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93