Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

BBQ Copper River Sockeye

Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Been making this recipe in the oven for years and finally decided to make it walk the plank in the egg! 

Soaked a cedar plank for 4 hrs: 

Cut the filet into 4 6 oz portions: 

Marinated for an hour in 8 oz of pineapple juice, 2 oz lemon juice and 1 Tbsp Soy sauce: 

The rub is Brown Sugar, Chili Powder, Cumin, Lemon Zest, Cinnamon, and salt: 

Planked and rubbed: 

Onto a 400 degree egg, raised direct: 

End product after 14 minutes (Poteet Strawberry salad and grilled veggies to round things out) with a side of Lamarca Prosecco! 

I'll never do it in the oven again...the cedar plank added a nice note and the egg locked in everything good and healthy about fresh salmon.

Healthy all week......ribs tomorrow!!
·

Comments

• Really nice. Love the crust. 

·
  • GA_DawgsGA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Looks great!
    ·
  • tazcrashtazcrash Posts: 1,851
    edited June 2012
    Where's the ooze?
    nice looking cook.
    The Mrs isn't fond of cedar in my house. :(
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,775
    How much of each ingredients for the rub? It looks amazing. Would love to try that.
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 2,055
    Jealous, looks delicious
    ·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,240
    Looks great. I have a general salmon question about grilling direct . . Whats up with the white goo? It always oozes out during my cooks. I assume it is has a correlation with grilling a fatty fish like salmon, but does this mean im doing something wrong? Noticed your pics are clean, so thinking im off somewhere, thanks.
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,240
    Oh just noticed taz mentioned this issue above too, curious to learn more about it, thanks.
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • eggoeggo Posts: 438
    The crust sealed the ooze in I would guess.
    Eggo in N. MS
    ·
  • Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Salmon always oozes....some of that "good fat", but when it's directly on a grill or broiling pan, it oozes into the fire. No ooze on top of this cuz' as eggo says...the crust becomes one with the stuff.

Here's the rub recipe Smokesniffer:

2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
    4 tsp Chili Powder
    2 tsp grated lemon rind
    3/4 tsp Ground Cumin
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon

It's an old Cooking Light recipe....a favorite in our house.
    ·
  • Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Consider pealing the skin off after it has cooked, add a bit more rub and throw the skin  back on the grill for 2 mins.  Pretty tasty.
    Good idea, more fish bark!
    ·
  • MontanaMontana Posts: 3
    Copper River Salmon is without peer!!  Get mine from the Public Market in Seattle.  Costs to get it shipped, but it is sooooo good....  I'm Jealous.... Looks great.
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,775
    Thanks Austin, we have a few sockeye's in the freezer that we need to eat, so I will be sure to give this a try. Pics look great. =D>
    ·
  • That is not fat, it's albumen (think egg whites). It a protein that oozes out when heated.

·
  • That's our Fathers Day meal. Do you put the plank on the raised grill before the salmon or all at once? Any flipping of the salmon (I don't think so but want to confirm). Thanks.
    ·