Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wireless Repeater for CyberQ Wifi ?

Iceman5705
Iceman5705 Posts: 83
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

I am finding that the signal strength on my new Cyberq wifi isn't strong enough to bore through my brick house.  Do you think a wireless repeater would work?  Could I program the repeater to only repeat the wireless signal I want or will it repeat all signals it can pick up?

Comments

• Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121

Did you manage to get it working in infrastructure mode? I have not.

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Still researching and debating to buy or not to buy. I don't see why a repeater wouldn't work but it worries me a but that it is having trouble making it through a brick wall. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Is your wifi network making it outside your brick. I have wifi in my yard. Seems if your wifi network is in your yard it should pick up the repeater as opposed to a CyberQ wifi issue.
  • Sgt93
    True, can your smartphone or computer pick up wifi outside in the same area as the Cyberq? If they can and the "Q" cannot, there is an issue for sure. 
  • Newportlocal
    True, can your smartphone or computer pick up wifi outside in the same area as the Cyberq? If they can and the "Q" cannot, there is an issue for sure. 

Exactly what I was thinking as I type this from an iPad in my yard. My iPhone works great out here as well on wifi.
  • Sgt93
    I know mine gets splotch outside of my brick abode. It makes it to my deck where the CyberQ WiFi would be though. I need to just order the thing and get it over with  :))
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I'm not sure if this matters, but you may not be aware that the CyberQ Wifi doesn't use your home network.  It sets up its own network that you then connect to via your laptop.  (I haven't gotten to the hard bits yet where you try to connect via your smartphone at work, etc.)  So, the fact that your phone might be able to see your home network from outside doesn't mean that it will pick up the CyberQ Wifi it the phone is inside and the CyberQ Wifi is outside.  Those are two different networks.  Unless I got that all wrong, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Sgt93
    You can connect it to the router for net usage but some are having trouble. But you are correct @TheNakedWhiz. It does have it's own network as well. 
  • Newportlocal
    This gives wifi network at home tips.
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/setup/wirelesstips.aspx
    Lots of antenna boosters on amazon with reviews just saw on for under $30 with over 250 reviews.
  • Gadfly

I'm not sure if this matters, but you may not be aware that the CyberQ Wifi doesn't use your home network.  It sets up its own network that you then connect to via your laptop.  (I haven't gotten to the hard bits yet where you try to connect via your smartphone at work, etc.)  So, the fact that your phone might be able to see your home network from outside doesn't mean that it will pick up the CyberQ Wifi it the phone is inside and the CyberQ Wifi is outside.  Those are two different networks.  Unless I got that all wrong, lol!

This is true if you leave it in ad-hoc mode (default). In infrastructure mode it should connect to your home network. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Unfortunately apparently it has problem with new access points. (I am very disappointed in BBQ guru) but it works with old ones. A new member of the forum that is waiting for permission to post sent me this link.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133899

• Sgt93
    I am following that thread as well. 
  • Gadfly

Yeah, .. what would it take to test the freaking thing with a few top of the shelf access points? Very disappointed, in particular since they have put so many disclaimers to discourage you from complaining to them about getting it to work with your home network.

They call using the infrastructure mode something that is meant only for advanced users. LOL. Seriously??

• Newportlocal
    Glad this is being brought up I always assumed it just connected to your home wifi network with little user effort. Wll definitely be watching this thread.
  • Sgt93
    I may just buy a DigiQ DX II and be done with it. Wish the issues with the CyberQ would be fixed. You shouldn't have to be a Network Administrator to work the darn thing. 
  • Newportlocal
    I may just buy a DigiQ DX II and be done with it. Wish the issues with the CyberQ would be fixed. You shouldn't have to be a Network Administrator to work the darn thing. 

Yep I think I would too, or wait for the next hopefully more user friendly version. I like the company I just think maybe this version may have room for improvement but I admire their efforts.
  • Sgt93
    I really am not in a hurry but would like one to reassure a good brisket. I came close to ordering yesterday. Had it in my cart and all haha. I found a DigiQ DX II on the bay for 279 new. Not bad at all. Do I need the wifi etc? Not really. Would it be cool? Of course! I thought about a stoker but like the ramp down features etc of the CyberQ/DigiQ. I'm in a networking class right now so maybe I can work with the CyberQ and learn something  =))
  • Gadfly
    edited June 2012

I wish being a network admin would do us any good in this case!

I have been working "on" Microsoft Windows networking subsystem for the last 20 years. (Not "with",  "on" as in: "I designed and wrote a lot of layer 2 network code of Microsoft Windows that people use every day"). And I couldn't get the damn thing to work.  

• Sgt93
    I'm learning about Layers right now. 20 yrs work is saying a lot. I'm reading on Brethen about issues as well but some getting results and not understanding why. 
  • Sgt93
    I really don't want a Stoker but I may start researching it again. 
  • Newportlocal
    Even with this issue I have decided to support BBQ guru. If I get impatient I will just get a DigiQ. I think I have the patience ie limited budget. Need to buy some sous vide equipment first any way.
  • Gadfly
    Even with this issue I have decided to support BBQ guru. If I get impatient I will just get a DigiQ. I think I have the patience ie limited budget. Need to buy some sous vide equipment first any way.
    Just last week my wife shut this down. Crying in my beer now.
  • Newportlocal
    The sous vide plans? A sous vide magic and some ziplock bags would get you started for about $150. I am looking at vacuum chambers like minipack mvs 31x vs vacmaster 112 or 215 and polyscience professional. But I also want an xl egg and modernist cuisine. Not sure where I will flex on my plan yet.
  • Gadfly
    Yes, I was going for the $300 thing from Costco or Amzon though.
  • Newportlocal
    Patience I am sure you will get your sous vide supreme. Those are nice. I let my wife shop then it's my turn. Don't even want to think about what she spends on clothes and the hair salon, but it works well for me getting my things.
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    I'm not impressed with it, to boot the guru's were one of my best vendors in regards to support and now I can't even get a return call.

In regards to wifi, buy a digi!!!! The wifi signal is weak as hell, also when using the iphone or iPad and the devices goes black once you wake it up it defaults back to your home network and you need to select the cyber wifi network again. In fairness, I'm not sure how well it'll work in infrastructure mode. Shelling out 400 isn't worth it, I was also under the impression that text messages was one of the features and it's not....not sure why you would need email notifications, I'd rather receive a text.

If your hangin out on your deck anyway why would you need a wifi power draft to begin with??? If anything get a digi
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • Sgt93
    I see Stoker has an app out for the iPhone "StokeMaster" which is kind of exciting. I also see that a tech guru on Brethen is making a cyber page for monitoring the CyberQ. I am sure an app is on the way either via GURU or 2nd party. 
  • North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137

I did hear back from BBQ Guru technical support about a week after I left a message. By then, I already had it working on my older access point. The Guru tech support person made it sound like I was the only one having issues.

One thing that I'd like to point out is that the CyberQ Wifi firmware is Rev 0.8, not 1.0 as seen in the manual. There is much room for improvement. I don't like being a beta tester without my knowledge and my day job for the past 16 years has been as a network engineer, so I realized very early on that this unit wasn't functioning correctly and I was determined to see how I could get it to work if at all possible. The older access point was the unexpected solution. 

One other big issue is the lack of security. I don't mind the CyberQ Wifi being on the secure home network, but with no password on the unit itself, I don't want it on the Internet for hackers to pounce on.

Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Other than someone perhaps getting in and modifying settings, what else could they do?

The Naked Whiz
  • Badong
    Badong Posts: 126
    Ordered the Stoker wifi last week.  Hope this gets resolved for you guys.
  • North_Is_Up
    North_Is_Up Posts: 137

Other than someone perhaps getting in and modifying settings, what else could they do?

BBQ Guru should solve the issues and release a firmware update. The unit works fine for me now, but not everyone has an older access point lying around to install or the expertise to do it.
    Small (hatched 6/13/2015)
    XL (hatched 4/21/2012)
    CyberQ Wifi, KCBS CTC CBJ
    Northern CA