Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak logistics

tmas
tmas Posts: 35
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I want to cook steaks, but also want my side of baked potato.  How do I handle the logistics of cooking the potato (1 hr @ 400) and searing the steak?

XL BGE
XL BGE Katy, TX (otherwise known as Far West Houston)

Comments

• cook the potato first. Take it off and wrap it in foil while the egg is heating up for the steak. I assume you know what to do after that? Potato will stay warm for quite a while. You can even hold it in a warm oven wile the steaks are cooking.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Put the potato in the oven.
  • tmas
    tmas Posts: 35
    I try to avoid the oven to keep the house cooler.

I'm fairly new to the Egg, enlighten me on how I should cook the steaks.
    XL BGE Katy, TX (otherwise known as Far West Houston)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

All the initial enlightenment you will need-

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm enjoy the journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Once you do the potato and let it sit.    Open the bottom grate and get the flames up.    They should come up on their own.     I like mine rare to med rare.    So depending upon thickness I do a sear for a few minutes on each side and take it off.  My wife like her's well done almost shoe leather.     I sear hers same as mine then shut down the grill and let heat radiate from  the ceramic and coals finish hers off.       People call it a dwell on the site.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Bake you tator first as CTS suggested, and while your waiting for your searing temps
    1 slice your potato in half lengthwise 
    2 scoop out the insides to a bowl
    3 add your fav bbq rub, and a little heavy whipping cream and mix (bacon, chives, cheese, whatever)
    4 return to skins
    5 bake for 15 minutes at 350-400 (indirect)

I really like doing this with the trex method while the steaks are resting.
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123