Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSWoo2 vs PSWoo3

Mole351
Mole351 Posts: 110
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Gonna pull the trigger one one of these...

Love the idea of PS3 but honestly I don't know that I'll be doing that much wokking or using a griddle - which really just leaves searing, no? What else would be a use of the spider portion that folks use regularly? I want to do pizzas with a larger stone than 13" so would need to buy a stone just for the spider?

So leaning toward the PS2. Is only $17 difference but I always seem to go "bigger" in things I buy and then end up using for bare essentials. Trying to curb that these days.

That said - don't want to buy the PS2 and then regret buying the 3.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I just ordered a woo combo. I don't understand it that well other than the obvious. I thought I was ordering another adjustable rig. Have you looked at that?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GeauxEggin
    GeauxEggin Posts: 31
    I just bought the PSWoo2 and extender.  i figured if I wanted spider functions I could always buy a spider later, and me able to use it up or down.  I was also a little worried that on long cooks the Woo3's spider might get in the way of the charcoal, but maybe I just put too much lump in for long cooks.
  • 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    I agree. So I recently purchased the woo2 with the grid extender. I have only used it once, but I'm very happy. It seems to me that if you already have a plate setter, as I do, then the woo2 is the way to go. But if you dont then maybe the woo3 with one of their stones. Unless you want to lay down the bones for the adjustable rig, which looks like the ultimate. But, I just felt like it was more than I need. Only time will tell if I regret that decision. If you think you'll want a woo with a grid extender order it soon. It sounds like they won't be available for much longer.
  • Mole351
    Mole351 Posts: 110
    Yep - that's why I'm asking! The extender ending has expedited my woo purchase.

Gonna go with the woo2. Thanks all.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    The PSWoo is all about keeping it simple with raising the grid to the felt line.  Adding the platesetter to go indirect is just a natural progression since most dealers package a platesetter with the egg.  Gotta dig them' handles for easy in and out..........

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited June 2012
    I don't like how the PSWoo3 has the center supports for the lower level dropping down into the fire area, which takes away lump air space. I don't have a platesetter, and have no intention of getting one, as I use the pizza stones as my indirect setup. The Woo3 works perfect for me. I can use it for a wok, set up indirect, and very importantly (for me), be able to spin my grid around, to access my food from the front, or adjust for hot spots. The new PSWoo3, takes away this ability, by the introduction of the handles.

I can see where some may need/want something like the PSWoo, but I'm sad to see that the excellent design of the Woo3 was sacrificed for it. The closest option still available is the PSWoo2, but it still has the handles sticking up, and requires that you keep track of the lower (removable) crossbars. It's also not compatible with a wok. <sigh> Had I known the Woo3 would be going the way of the Dodo bird, I would have bought another for travel, before they were gone.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • tjv
    Hey BJ, I hear ya.  Maybe what I need to do is mothball the original Woo (one with crossbars) as it is still available on the website and replace it with the woo3.  I can still make the woo3 in-house.  I'm thinking more folks would rather grab the handles and lift out than spin. With the pswoo you can grab the handles and spin the entire unit, so not all is lost.  I see you are in VA.  The PSWoo will be at the dizzy pig fest in couple weeks, if you want to take a closer look see...........

t
  • ShedFarm
    Oh, TJV, I would LOVE for the Woo3 to return. The problem with the idea of "spinning the whole unit", is when your Egg gets all gooped up with stuff, getting the whole thing to move is much harder than being able to just grab the cooking grid with your tongs, and giving it a whirl. It also requires you put on the "big boy gloves", to keep from burning your hands.

I will be at DizzyFest as a cook, and plan to take a look at it. To be honest, I was kinda hoping he'd have a Woo3 still in stock, that I could buy...
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • tjv
    I took the wokking down from the site with the PSWoos.  Can be done but not the best set-up.  If the wok gets moving around to much, it can slip beneath the half circle rings on the PSWoo's base ring.  The wok does not sit on the spider ring in the PSWoo3.   Actual spider still best for wokking.  t
  • Hhhhmmm...

Guess I am going to have go log in again and break out the card.

What's the projected over/under on weeks until I have the Adjustable Rig with sliding shelves on order as well?

LOL

Thanks for letting me know :)

To the best of my knowledge and would love Tom's input (since it's my father's day present). You can do the AR with a spider and get everything the woo will do plus the wok. It's the whole deal. I'm not sure people use the Woo after getting the correct AR setup.

Tom????????????????????
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    1+ on this.... im using an xl, is it the same? I really want to start wokking

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• ShedFarm
    I actually have the full AR setup, the Woo3, the Woo3 extender, and the Spider (I'm an all or nothing kind of girl). I really prefer the simplicity of the Woo3, and use it for 99% of my cooks.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • tjv
    I basically tell folks, if you get the rig, you don't need the woo.   If you want to keep it simple and raise the grid near the felt line, the woo is the best option.  If you want the greatest flexibility and be adventurous with your cooks, then the rig is your best option.

The spider is the best option for wokking, as you can set it up or down.  The woo3 is next best.  Don't really recommend wokking with the pswoo.

On the xl, wok with the spider or xl woo, as each has the lower ring to hold the wok.

t  
  • SmokinCow
    SmokinCow Posts: 3
    I'm still new to the BGE and still trying to figure out what works best for me.  So take for what its worth.  I personally needed something to get my burgers away from the flame a little bit.  I was trying to determine what would be best option.  I read an article on Tom's site, http://ceramicgrillstore.com/adjustable-rig-vs-woo2-moreinfomenu.html, that finally helped me decide.  I went with the PSWoo2 as I already had the placesetter, didn't want to use a wok on my egg, and the cost difference between PSWoo2 and PSWoo3.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    AND you got exactly what YOU needed.  That is why they make the different units, because we all have different  cooking habits and needs.