Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spark Containment

Options
Moulton_1924
Moulton_1924 Posts: 8
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've noticed recently that even with the mesh draft door in place sometimes a spark can make it out of the bottom of the firebox and on to my deck.  I'm trying to find ways to minimize that happening.

One idea I had was to rotate the firebox so that the large opening does not line up so directly with the draft door.  I'd rotate it as far as I could while still being able to clean out ash. I don't think this would reduce airflow significantly.

My egg is about five years old and I've had to order a new replacement draft door mesh.  I'm thinking that I could keep both and place the old one up against the firebox opening as an extra measure of safety.

Has anyone else tried ways of reducing the chance of sparks making it out?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    I've never had a spark get out through the mesh screen so I can't help in that regard.  If you rotate the fire box then as you note, you will have some impact on the air flow.  Just watch your vent settings closely as the lower one will have to change to compensate.  You may want to evaluate the lump you are using if this level of sparking is causing concern.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    Another option could be a grill mat under your egg so if a spark makes it out, it lands on a fire-proof mat.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Valuable thread. There are at least two of us on this forum that have had major house fires. Mine was not directly related to the egg but the other one was an errant ember from the top vent of the egg. Five plus years and we have just settledwith the insurance

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Moulton_1924
    Options
    A little more info:  The charcoal I was using was Basques Hardwood Charcoal.  I've been using it for a few years.  The sparking I mention doesn't happen all the time usually just when I first get the charcoal going with an electric heater and then stir the charcoal to distribute the lit bits.  Sometimes when I do that the first starts making like a Rice Crispies Snap, Crackle, Pop sound and little bits of ember start exploding.  That's when it could start shooting out the bottom. 

It doesn't continue during the cook proper but I'm thinking of a worst case scenario where this happens during an overnight cook....
  • Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Options
    I would go the fire proof mat idea. Seems like the easiest, safest, and cheapest way to make sure you are protected. I would try my best to protect my house/deck when using a charcoal grill that's for sure. It only takes a little fire to destroy your deck.

I have not seen any sparks fly out of my egg before from the bottom vent, but I don't pay much attention since the ground concrete.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    For grill mat(s)-I use one of those big aluminum pans from auto supply stores under the BGE to minimize the charocal residue on the patio (concrete). 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Options
    Is your charcoal getting wet at all?   I've noticed that if charcoal gets wet it will spark like crazy even after it has sat and dried out....not sure why but I've observed it several times.

I like the fireproof mat idea, seems like a good just in case precaution.