Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

6.65LB Boston Butt

Comments

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346

That makes sense, it does seem like a cool feature, but I will test it out just with something simple first.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• If it's not the stall, you are close

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • michigan_jason
    How could this be possible, 6.65lbs and not even 4 hours at temp?

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Also, do you guys use ramp mode on the digiq dx2? Supposedly when the meat gets 30 degrees from done, it will slowly lower the temp of the grill to slightly above the internal meat set point so it will not overcook. Should I enable this? Or is it pretty safe to say that this thing will take every bit of the afternoon to finish? Again it has been on since 7:30, and it was about 8 When the grill got up to temp. I am going to leave the house for a few hours and dont want to worry. Also is 195 a good temp to pull it off the grill and let it rest in FTC?
    You have 4-5 hours before you need to worry about checking on it

i pull mine closer to 200 but if the probe slides in and out like butter, it's done. Start checking around 190 and pull it when it's butter soft

• michigan_jason
    Ohh, ok cen-tex I read it wrong. I thought you meant if it wasnt the stall, im close to being done! lol, you meant im close to the stall. Got it. Ok I am going to meet a buddy for lunch at our favorite watering hole, and should be home around 2ish. I imagine the butt will be just fine and will not overcook on me...

• Ohh, ok cen-tex I read it wrong. I thought you meant if it wasnt the stall, im close to being done! lol, you meant im close to the stall. Got it. Ok I am going to meet a buddy for lunch at our favorite watering hole, and should be home around 2ish. I imagine the butt will be just fine and will not overcook on me...
    You got it.

You have plenty of time and the watering hole just assures that everything will go smoothly. If you'll be home by 2, you'll have a few hours cushion. Go have fun with your buddy

• michigan_jason
    Internal is at 158 right now.

• Internal is at 158 right now.
    It will stall. What's your grill/dome temp?

• michigan_jason
    Dome 300....at the grate 265

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607

i did an 8lb butt last weekend and was prepared for a 12-14hr cook...

it took about 11 hrs and pulled at 200 of the egg

dome was pinged at 250 and the grate was 225.  the stall happened at 185ish

• Dome 300....at the grate 265
    You are fine. It will stall for a a few hours and then climb out for a few

• michigan_jason

I am home, (have been since 2pm EST) Here is what it looked like then. With an internal temp of 182.

• michigan_jason
    Is it a good idea to turn this thing over at all or leave it the way it is?

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    close that lid! 
    Just let it sit. No need to flip, turn, or rotate it. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • michigan_jason
    ok, i have only opened the lid to take a few pics and get the smoke going again.

• If you are lookin' you ain't cookin'

• michigan_jason
    i know I know, I am going to run to the grocery store to get my veggies for pico de gallo..... no more lookin :)

• michigan_jason
    I get to try my new $9.99 bear paws later too...should be a lot easier than it was last time.

• tazcrash
    When its done..., you could have cub paws. ;)

OK time for me to try out my happy hour draft beer paws.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    If the bear claws fail-two forks are a great audible.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • michigan_jason
    edited June 2012
    internal is at 196 right now... wait till 200? then let it rest or what?

• michigan_jason
    If the bear claws fail-two forks are a great audible.
    ive used the forks, but for $10 these seem cool...plus you can pick things off the grill easy too... well see

• XLBalco
    why are you foiling? eating later?
  • michigan_jason
    i was just asking... it is at 197 now and people will be here in 30mins to eat. thermapen shows from 192 to 197 depending on where i test. I dont plan to foil.

• tazcrash
    Use a skewer or temp probe. It should just slide in like you were dipping it in oil.
    any resistance anywhere and its not done.
    FTC just to hold till serving.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • XLBalco
    i wouldnt... i would let it go til 200... i am sure you wont have to pull it that instant and whatever time it rests inbetween that- that is fine
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I would suggest cocktails

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• michigan_jason
    i have a bbq guru digiq in there that is dead center and says 197 now.....thermapen confirms this and its a little lower in a few areas.

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    It's done...pull it.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Quinn,

You have something against cocktails?

Steve 

Caledon, ON