Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yaki Udon with Beef

Options
Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
In Japanese, Yaki means stir fry
Udon is a white pasta spaghetti, just somewhat fatter
I used paper thin sliced ribeye for the beef, because I already had it in the freezer for making Sukiyaki.  It was very tender.

This is a very tasty dish.  The bok choy and onions got lost in the stir fry, so I will use more next time.
Here is a link to the recipe.  Click here.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I love udon noodles. And that dish looks fantastic. I gotta push for a wok.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks great VI! Crazy how the end product looks so simple after seeing 12 ingredients.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Thanks.

@hapster.  The wok is sitting on a Spider (from Ceramic Grill Store).

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Options
    @hapster.  Why don't you ask Tom?  He sells woks and woos and spiders.  He should be able to tell you.

I don't do real well with chopsticks.  I learned to eat with them when I was in Japan, but I'm told I hold them wrong.  My wife is a pro.  Usually (after the picture), I'll bring out the fork.  
    :D

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Score! I've been looking for a great Yaki recipe. I never get it quite right.

Thanks VI.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Very nice looking meal VI.  I know you prefer that to Loney stir fry. 
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    hahaha.  Cooking Yakiloney is considered a felony in Texas.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    hahaha.  Cooking Yakiloney is considered a felony in Texas.
    No Lie. I threw up a little when i read that. I'll take the ribeye, thank you very much

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Isn't possession of Loney a felony in Texas?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    =P~ Oh my gosh...
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Village Idiot
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Isn't possession of Loney a felony in Texas?
    Steve,

One of our face eating cannibals gagged when he was told he was going to have to eat loney for punishment.   
    :-&

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    As usual Looks awesome. I cant Imagine what your pantry looks like with all the cooking supplies you have.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    That's is absolutely one of my favorite food combinations beef and noodles but with some hot spice added to it.
  • Newportlocal
    Options
    Sukiyaki hot pot style was a favorite when I visited Japan. That being said Korean bulgogi and kimchee is definitely some I will do on my mini soon.
  • Little Steven
    Options

I love bulgogi and kimchi. I follow Maangchi.

http://www.maangchi.com/

And Little Chef on the other forum is brilliant.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1243437&catid=1

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    VI,

Well done, sir!

^:)^ :-bd =D>
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Village Idiot
    edited June 2012
    Options
    I'm so glad I can post cooks here so that it inspires people to post how great the cooks are on another forum

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Newportlocal
    Options
    Sukiyaki hot pot style was a favorite when I visited Japan. That being said Korean bulgogi and kimchee is definitely some I will do on my mini soon.

Looked at the links. The second one I prefer cabbage kimchi. I have had all types and it is still my preference.
    Village idiot your food looks great sorry you are irritated with the food discussion.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I'm so glad I can post cooks here so that it inspires people to post how great the cooks are on another forum.
    Jeezus Gary! I missed telling you how great your dish was and I apologise for that. I get excited about Korean stuff and tried to give the guy some information. Your stuff looked terrific.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    I don't understand the fascination of a wok on the egg.  Does it give any additional flavor to foods that the stove can't?  Your food looks great, but if I did that on the stove would there be any difference?  Seems like a waste of wood.  Does any wood smoke get into the food?  Maybe the egg can get the wok much hotter than the stove can, just don't fully get it 
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I.D.

Yes, the Egg can get the temperature a lot hotter than a stove can.  True stir frying requires a very high heat in order to attain Wok Hei, according to Grace Young, author of Breath Of A Wok.  She says that professional Chinese chefs cook at a temperature 20 times hotter than a stove can produce.  The principle is that stir frying at a very hot temp requires a very fast cook, which causes the food to retain it's nutrients and flavor.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mthomp13
    Mthomp13 Posts: 24
    Options
    @VI I ate Udan noodles one time at a restaurant and said I would never eat them again. But if I had that plate of food sitting in front of me I would try it again.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options

Much hotter . . atleast that's why I got one at first. You stir fry with lid open, so not picking up an extra wood flavor but eggs is a great platform for fast, high, consistent heat. 

For me . . the wok investment forced my hand into a new cooking genre (Asian / Thai) and showed me that if done right, it is some gooooood eats.  You buy something nice (16" carbon steel wok) and and you tend to make it perform by instantly caring about the details . ..  Now I have am fully stocked with "new" Asian ingredients (noodles variety, oyster, sweet chili and hoisin sauce, sesame oil, peanut oil, fish sauce, dried shiitake mushrooms, coconut milk, mirin, etc) and learning that my go-to-asian-carry-out joint does not taste fresh and is too salty.  I got this cook book and been very happy.  Last example: I just did a stir fry with lemon grass and learned it is one of my new favorite flavors . . . credit the wok investment!image

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Got it, that makes much more sense now.  I have the spider and I think the wok I have might work.  I will definitely give it a try.  How do I know when the temp is right?
  • IrishDevl
    Options
  • Village Idiot
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Got it, that makes much more sense now.  I have the spider and I think the wok I have might work.  I will definitely give it a try.  How do I know when the temp is right?
    I.D.

If you are a seasoned wokker, used to cooking fast, I'd go to about 800-900 degrees.  If starting out, I'd try around 500.  I usually just open the bottom vent all the way and let her rip.  I think, sometimes, that gets it a tad too hot (1200 +).

Make sure you have some good gloves.  

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• IrishDevl
    Options
    I have a wok with a handle, not sure that is the best way to go.  What would you recommend for woks if I am putting the lid down I would need a metal handle?  I might have to order  
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    You know when the temp is right when a drop of water dances in the wok.  My eggs are usually around 400-450.  You will figure that out as you keep cooking.  Plus cooking on the egg does not get the kitchen hot, but you knew that anyway..
  • Newportlocal
    Options
    I used an electric wok and a hot pot in my college dorm many years ago. Just dive in the water is fine. Just have all your ingredients prepped and ready ahead of time. You will have a great time.