Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

6.65LB Boston Butt

Options
michigan_jason
michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

The wife just brought home a 6.65lb Premium Boston Butt from Vince & Joe's. I have only done one pork butt and it was 10lbs and had a bone in it. This one does not appear to have a bone, but I am not sure as I have not unwrapped it yet. I want to eat tomorrow around 5-6ish. Last butt again was 10lbs and took about 14 hours. It actually cooked to 205 internal and was overdone in my opinion. I want this one to be perfect, and intend to pull it and use it for tacos with some fresh pico de gallo, got sauce, beans and rice. I am still going to rub it, just not barbecue sauce on this one once pulled. Any suggestions? Should I plan to put this thing on tomorrow at like 6am? Earlier? Thanks for the advice..

Jason

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

Comments

• pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    Options
    6am sounds about right. I just did one that was about 6.5# bone in and put it on around 7am and I pulled it a 4:30 with an internal temp of 200, cooked at 250-270 dome temp. To be safe though you could put it on at 5 and just wrap it in foil and towels and place in a cooler if it finishes early.

Do you know what temp you are going to run it at? Some are running up to 350 doing the turbo butts so you can really control when you want it done by the temp you want to run. I am still of old school and prefer to run around 250, even though I ran hotter on the above mentioned butt.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Last one I did at 260, so somewhere around there, 220-260

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Is there a difference in premium Boston but and a pork shoulder?

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Can't speak for the premium part, but a Boston Butt is the top of the pork shoulder.  the bottom of the shoulder is called the picnic.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Don't know your dome temp so much is a guess-but bone in or bone out (sounds like a movie:)) each will cook at about the same rate.  At 250*F +/- on the dome  expect around 2 hrs/# to the finish line.  You can search "turbo butt" for high speed cooks.  To get an assessment of your cooks-dome/cook temp (defined)  is a critical variable. FYI-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    I'm looking at 260 pit temp..and plan to put it on at 6am. Pit temp probe (BBQ guru digi q) clipped to the grate right next to the butt.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Probably just the extra $2 per lb the screwed you out off by calling it premium :))

No diff. It's just a boneless shoulder
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    but bone in or bone out (sounds like a movie:)) 

Pretty sure I've seen that one at one point

• michigan_jason
    Options
    $2.99/lb

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Don't know your dome temp so much is a guess-but bone in or bone out (sounds like a movie:)) each will cook at about the same rate.  At 250*F +/- on the dome  expect around 2 hrs/# to the finish line.  You can search "turbo butt" for high speed cooks.  To get an assessment of your cooks-dome/cook temp (defined)  is a critical variable. FYI-
    Lousubcap  I always thought the dome WAS the cooking temp until I got a Digiq guru and put the probe on the cooking grid.  My dome was about 280 and grid was 225.  So before that I was cooking at about 200!!!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    $2.99/lb
    $1.50 at costco for the same pig

Still not bad though
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    The wife went to Vince and joes and they are upscale...upscale in price I see...

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The wife went to Vince and joes and they are upscale...upscale in price I see...
    Hey, I paid $5.79 lb for the brisket (usually $3-$4 down here) I wrecked this last weekend at whole foods just to be fancy so I get it. Just saying, when they call it "premium" they call it that for a reason. No Pork shoulder is more premium than another unless you get it off a farm or some boutique-y supplier. If it's in cryo, it's coming from one of 2 or 3 places

• michigan_jason
    Options
    It wasn't wrapped...the butcher wrapped it. I'm not sure...but I will take pics tomorrow.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It wasn't wrapped...the butcher wrapped it. I'm not sure...but I will take pics tomorrow.
    Cool looking store. They buy in cases and take it out of the cryo and put in a fancy case. I know, I had a much smaller version of a store like this and we did the same thing. Same with all upscale markets. I would shop there for sure though. It looks awesome

PS- This is from the US Premium Pork Website: 

The mission of Premium Pork: "To encourage profit and opportunity for America's pork industry."

It's a huge producer. Don't trust the meat industry.

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Ok, it is 6:30am here and im about to rub this thing down. Should I inject anything? Rub suggestions? I have jacks old south meat rub, and rib rub, and the whole dizzy pig line. (remember i am making tacos with this.)

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Guru is holding temp at 265 at the grate. (Verified with thermapen) The butt is 52 inside the deepest part. I want this thing done at 6-7 latest, so I will closely monitor the internal temp to decide if I need to cook a little hotteror not. Pics and video coming up, but I'm at the hardware store now for an impromptu down spout repair due to this damn rain

• pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    Options
    I don't think you will have any trouble being done by then at that temp. Have fun and enjoy!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    good luck on this,
    Just remember, when you hit that stall, you can always foil it to help speed it up if time is an issue.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    When I do tacos, I rub with chile powder, cayenne, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and Mexican oregano (optional). Gives a nice SW/Mexican flavor for tacos.

• michigan_jason
    edited June 2012
    Options

Here is the butt prior to going on the grill.

It currently sits at 125 degrees internal, pit at 265. Its been on for 3 hours. Should I lower the temp? Is it cooking too fast, or am I on a good pace to be eating around 6?

• michigan_jason
    Options

The smoke...........

The bag of cowboy lump from ace hardware is a great bag with huge pieces all the way through just about!image

Look at this piece!image

This is the total amount of lump I put in the fire ring....image

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you might find that the long chunks of wood will span over the fire and eventually stop smoking.  when i have long splits or chuunks of bark like that, i will stab them at and angle down into the lump.  friend of mine started me doing that, thinking it would open up some air slots.  but i DO know it allows me to place wood vertically toward the middle of the cooker (where my fire sits), and gives me a decent chance at near-continuous smoke
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    Yes, you are right, my smoke has already stopped. Should I open it up and as fast as possible correct this issue?

• tazcrash
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Open it up, toss more wood in, or fix those. Don't rush. A temp rise will go back down when the oxygen burns off.

As far as turning down the temp because it's cooking too fast, Don't! 
    You are still before the stall. At some point that piece of meat will sit there....like a hunk of dead meat, and the temp will stay the same or go down! all the while you are looking at the clock, watching sides come together, plates on the table, etc.....

The above may or may not have happened. there are no pics. ;)

Leave the temp ,and have the FTC ready if needed. Better to have it sit waiting, than guests, and family. 

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    I am going to pull the plate setter and butt off and fix the wood. I will take a pic when done. Brb... also... what is FTC?

• tazcrash
    Options
    Foil, towel, Cooler
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • michigan_jason
    Options

I took my time and dug the spears of cherry into the pile a little and quickly had a blazing inferno in there lol. Here are a few new pics. Thanks guys for the help!

imageimage

Internal is at 148...seems to be at a standstill now. Not sure if this is the stall or not...

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Also, do you guys use ramp mode on the digiq dx2? Supposedly when the meat gets 30 degrees from done, it will slowly lower the temp of the grill to slightly above the internal meat set point so it will not overcook. Should I enable this? Or is it pretty safe to say that this thing will take every bit of the afternoon to finish? Again it has been on since 7:30, and it was about 8 When the grill got up to temp. I am going to leave the house for a few hours and dont want to worry. Also is 195 a good temp to pull it off the grill and let it rest in FTC?

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Totally up to you but I would let it roll as is. I wouldn't enable a feature that I hadn't used before and walk away.

Steve 

Caledon, ON