Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Multiple Butts

Options
Piganytime
Piganytime Posts: 16
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
First time doing more then one Butt tonight and then multiple briskets this weekend. Other then time for temp to settle in with the additional mass, is there much of a difference in doing two butts vs. one or two brisket flats instead of one?

Comments

• DenaSmoker
    DenaSmoker Posts: 44
    Options
    I was also wondering what affect of cooking 2 Butts would have on the cooking time.  What would be the hours per #'s?  Or is the BGE so awesome that it doesn't matter and it cooks just like having a single butt on the BGE?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    there's no real impact on time, other than maybe a longer recovery at the beginning.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    I did 4 approx 8lb butts on a large last weekend. They started coming off after 12 hours. Longest took 16 hours. Don't assume the smallest will be the first done. Mine were all over the place. One of the largest came off first, and the smallest came off 2nd from last (about hour 15).
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Options
    I did 4 approx 8lb butts on a large last weekend. They started coming off after 12 hours. Longest took 16 hours. Don't assume the smallest will be the first done. Mine were all over the place. One of the largest came off first, and the smallest came off 2nd from last (about hour 15).

How did you fit 4 on the large?
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    Two tiers. Two on the bottom, two on the top.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    I cooked 14 on two larges a year or so ago. Anytime I do a large cook, I always make sure I'm loaded up with lump. I usually notice an increase in usage. All that cold mass will make the egg fire harder to overcome the shock of the cold meat. Other than that, I wouldnt over think it. If your just cooking two or three, you probably won't notice any difference. If you start cooking on stacked grids with 5 or more, I would factor in a couple hours more just for my own satisfaction. You will be fine. Show us some pics!