Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My BGE was stolen

Options
2»

Comments

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    I've been meaning to drill into the patio in our rental place and install some sort of locking point for the Egg.  It's been long enough, this thread makes me realize I need to do it next weekend.

Sorry it happened to you sir, but thank you for pointing out the potential loss.
  • erickpanger
    erickpanger Posts: 48
    Options
    Gees I wonder. I just got a great deal on a Medium Egg some guy was selling from the back of his PU truck :P

Kidding. Sorry about the event. Just suck when folks do this stuff

• ducksbuddy
    ducksbuddy Posts: 56
    Options

Man! im so scared someone is going to get mine im building a chastoty belt for it!

• GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options

Sorry to hear about that, thanks for the heads up! 

However, I will say that while sercuring our Eggs to the deck/patio/house makes us feel better it may not be a deterrent for theives.  It just means they would have to bring bolt cutters to get at it.  If someone is going to steal something as heavy as the Egg they will have most likely scoped the place and planned ahead (to bring vehicle & route to get away) and would have something to get through the lock/chain securing your Egg. 

When we still rented we had my wife's bike chained to the deck through the tire, frame and around the deck and it was still stolen one night without us or our dogs noticing and our dogs don't miss much. Unfortunately if somebody really wants something they will find a way to get it. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Dude, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Hope you catch the low life.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options

This is one of my concerns as well.  I have shadow box fencing, so you can get a glimpse into my backyard when walking the street.  Hopefully the weight of an xl, having to jump a fence,trip the motion lights, cut through the screen room and whatever security i can provide will deter the potential dirt bags......  I feel for your loss,  I hope you have insurance with a low enough deductible to help you recoup at least some of your loss!!!!  Not to give it a bad tone, but i have been battling my insurance company for 3 years over water damage inside my house.  I pray you don't have to go through the nightmare i am in...

Chrispy

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• sean4185
    sean4185 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thankfully, the insurance company cut me a check within a week.  All of you are correct by saying that if someone wants something bad enough they will probably end up getting it, but we certainly want to make it as difficult for them as we possibly can.  Where I am now is a rental, but if I decide on being a homeowner, I'll be better positioned to secure an egg better than I can here.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    What a bummer.  Glad the insurance came thru, must be a very good policy.  If karma is a bi*ch, hopefully the thief got a hernia from lifting the medium.   >:)
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    What a bummer.  Glad the insurance came thru, must be a very good policy.  If karma is a bi*ch, hopefully the thief got a hernia from lifting the medium.   >:)
    ... and make sure your next egg is an XL.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe