Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bobby Flay cooked a pork butt on his BGE today.

Options
BYS1981
BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
edited May 2012 in Off Topic
Bobby Flay posted several pictures and tweets ( @bflay ) today about pork shoulders he was cooking. I already enjoyed watching Flay on his shows, but knowing he he has an egg gives him a leg up.

Comments

• BYS1981
    Options
    Oops he made the pork butts for Memorial Day.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    He has a big green ceramic cooker. He never refers to it as an egg.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • BYS1981
    Options
    He has a big green ceramic cooker. He never refers to it as an egg.
    Nope. On his twitter he called it a big green egg several times and posted pictures of it.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    Hmmm. That may be a first! I know he loves cooking on it, but usually refers to it as a big green ceramic grill/cooker. I thought it was a Weber sponsorship thing.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    He had a show BBQ addiction where he shows several grills including a WSM, BGE, and a huge raisable rack system. The man has BBQ/Nirvana in his back yard, and probably got the items as sponsorship, and now has a tax write-off as well.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • BYS1981
    Options
    I have never watched his BBQ shows, but I would imagine he ddoesn't mention BGE because of sponsorship. The cooking channel is sponsored by weber; I am sick of their commercials lol!
  • tazcrash
    Options
    What I meant was that he probably gets the grills for free to use on his show. 
    I don't remember if he calls it a Big Green Egg or not, but it is in a primo (no-pun intended) spot: 

imagei
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • BYS1981
    Options
    Oh yeah Taz.. I am sure he gets all the grills for free, and I am extremely jealous hahaha.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I hope he learned how to close the lid. I always cringed when he would let it just slam shut on his show.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Options
    According to his twitter post he cooked his butt at 200 until an internal temp of 185. 

Seems like most of us like to cook at 225-250 and internal temp of around 190-200. I would like to try cooking a butt at 200 even to see how it turns out!! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    According to his twitter post he cooked his butt at 200 until an internal temp of 185. 

Seems like most of us like to cook at 225-250 and internal temp of around 190-200. I would like to try cooking a butt at 200 even to see how it turns out!! 
    6-8 more hours, zero more taste or texture. Done it.

Go for it though. last one i did took like 22 hours for a 8-9 lb butt.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mattlock
    Mattlock Posts: 64
    Options
    That's awesome, I really like Bobby Flay on most shows I've seen him on.
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!
  • BYS1981
    Options
    I get the impression Bobby Flay is a regular guy who is good at cooking.
    I also like Guy Fieri and get same vibe from him. Guy is also a big Raiders fan and hangs out with a few players hehe.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options

Bobby Flay is anything but a "regular guy" IMO...I do think he is one of the best chefs in the world though.  I do also find that the best BBQ is competition BBQ.

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Settle down Eggineer

- Signed Mario "Fanta Pants" Batali
  • Adamd
    Options

6-8 more hours, zero more taste or texture. Done it.

Go for it though. last one i did took like 22 hours for a 8-9 lb butt.

If you did not notice any difference in quality I don't think I will bother cooking that low then. I love cooking on the BGE, but all day/night cooks is a bit too long for my liking. 
  • BYS1981
    Options
    When I saw "normal guy" I mean I could see him sitting around drinking a beer shooting the ****. Guy Fieri DEFINITELY is like that.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Guy Fieri . . oh man.

personally, I would love to smack Guy in the face with a sock full of nickles.

And I guess im not the only one - http://foodnetworkhumor.com/2009/11/why-people-hate-guy-fieri/
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    That link is pretty funny.
  • BYS1981
    Options
    Always was taught if you have hater you're doing something right.. website full of them, Guy is doing ok. Lol
  • Adamd
    Options
    Always was taught if you have hater you're doing something right.. website full of them, Guy is doing ok. Lol
    You know that does make some sense ;)  If he was not a big shot he would have no fan base and in turn have no hate. I don't really know the guy other then "know who he is" since I don't watch any of his programs. He must be doing ok unless everyone hates him and his numbers are tanking on the show and will be gone in no time...

I really like watching Bobby Flay.
  • lisanevada
    lisanevada Posts: 17
    Options
    I am cooking my first pork butt as I type this. My butcher says he smokes at 180 dome temp until bone pulls out with no resistance. As its a work day (I <3 teleworking), I am using the 250 ish dome temp that seems to work well for others on the forum. Unlike Bobby Flay, I don't have a staff; just a cat who refuses to help.
  • tazcrash
    Options
    No help, no piggy for Kitty.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    Options
    @ tazcrash  LMAO 

Not sure about your butcher but 180 dome temp????