Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Chicken BGE Style

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy Eggheads,[p]I'm looking for some advice on cooking a whole chicken on my BGE. We have a rotisserie oven here at home we usually cook them in and it does a pretty good job. I have never been a fan of turkey no matter how you cook it but I do like chicken cooked by just about all methods. How do you guys/gals cook your yard birds? Beer can, wire chicken holder, etc.....? What temps do you cook them at and how long? Of course I want to know how yall season them to. Just when I think I have found the ultimate way to season certain foods, someone always comes along with something that really humbles me. LOL![p]Lets hear from the eggsperts!

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Eggprentice,
    I spatchcock my chickens:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Spatchcock Chicken[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    gildedchicken.jpg
    <p />Eggprentice,[p]For cooking whole birds I like to coat the skin with olive oil, sprinkle with a rub, stand them on end and cook 325 - 350 direct for about an hour and half.
    The chicken setter works well by pulling the heated air through the bird, cooking it nice an evenly throughout.[p]Most times I will place the chicken setter on a small round of foil, no bigger than the footprint of the bird, to protect the bottoms of the legs and thighs from possibly scorching.
    This chicken was coated with BlueSmoke's Gilded Splinters....awesone stuff on chicken.
    When it's brown, pull it off![p]John

• BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    Nice bird Woo! Ya ready to rock this weekend in Westminster?[p]BBQ Bob

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    sitter2.jpg
    <p />WooDoggies,
    That's one of my favrorite, low maintenace ways of cooking my birds too. It's almost impossible to over cook it that way.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    2005210130.jpg
    <p />Eggprentice,
    i alternate between beercan and spatchcock. both are good. cut ove a plate and not on a cutting board as i did with this one, there is still a grease spot on my patio from all the moisture released. i cant always make up my mind on seasoning, this one is ken stone's red rooster on one side, witchy red on the other with garlic infused oil drizzled on top. i use all of ken stones and dizzypigs rubs on chicken
    2005162649.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    fishlessman,
    And you did that without masking tape? Reminds me of myself after falling asleep on the beach on a sunny day. Good use of Bud Light.[p]Paul

• Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    Options
    Eggprentice, I either spatchcock mine (see The Naked Whiz's link) or vertical-roast. Either way makes the best chicken you can sink your teeth into.

• WilliamH
    WilliamH Posts: 57
    Options
    Mr. Woo,
    I tried to make a funny about you a while back. Hope you didn't think I was serious. I figure you understood my warped sense of humor. Hope all is well with you.[p]-W

• Unknown
    Options
    Eggprentice, I come from a different camp, I've never been a big fan of chicken skin. While it tastes great, once you get past the skin I don't like the way the meat looks, or it's texture. It's similar to (but not nearly as bad as) when people completely foil things and put them on the grill, what's the point of grilling. I prefer the meat to be grilled and I think you get better smoke penetration. You are cooking on ceramic, you have a unique advantage over other grills in that it is far more difficult to dry your food out.[p]Sometimes I use one of those wire stand things, but I have a medium egg and it's hard to get two to tango in there. I rub on olive oil and powder them with whatever dry rub I'm in the mood for, cook direct @350 for 45 to an hour on their backs then roll onto the breast to finish grilling.[p]The flavor and juiciness is great and I think it makes a better presentation. Do one with and one without and see what you think. [p]I wonder if this whole BCC things isn't an Anheuser Busch ruse to sell more beer. That's no place for a fine Oregon Ale.[p]Cheers
  • Grill With Bill
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]I use the same kind of vertical roaster you do, but I put the chicken on it upside down. I find with the legs in the air the fat from the dark meat drips down over the breast and keeps it moist. [p]Bill
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    WilliamH,[p]Yes, I got your warped funny and could only take it as the highest complement..... thanks and beers![p]John

• WooDoggies
    Options
    Grill With Bill,[p]I would never have thought to cook a chicken upside down.
    Do you cook them direct or indirect.... same times and temps?
    Think I'm gonna have to give that a try..... thanks for the idea.[p]John

• WooDoggies
    Options
    jake42,[p]Very pretty. I agree... these are so easy they seem to just cook themselves.[p]john
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    BBQ Bob Trudnak,[p]Yes! Bring the agave.[p]John

• Grill With Bill
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]I cook them at 350* or so and I usually use a plate setter with a drip pan.[p]My goal in cooking it upside down is to keep the breast very juicy by having the fat from the dark meat constantly baste the white meat. I'm afraid that if I used this method with direct heat the breast would be too close to the fire, defeating the purpose. [p]I have been known, on occaision, to forget about the chicken and leave it on a little too long. More than once the breast temp was up to 190* but it was still quite moist.[p]Bill
  • Unknown
    Options
    Eggprentice,[p]My good buddy "Fast Eddie" down in N.C. turned me on to "Fast Eddie's Better than Beer-Can Chicken" I've done it all and this is the one that we all like best up here in Cleveland. Give it a try. It is very easy and is also a good excuse to stand around the egg and drink beer. Good luck![p]DanO[p]INGREDIENTS:
    9-12 beers
    1-2 Whole chickens (buy 'em whole, they're cheaper)
    Cup of Water
    Cup of Vinegar
    Stick of Butter/Margerine
    A couple tablespoons of Salt or so.
    A tablespoon of Garlic, give or take.[p]First, crack open a brewski & take a long slug. This beer is for drinking, not for shoving up a chicken's butt. Then fire the BGE up to about 375-425 depending on how much time you have. Cut the chickens in 1/2; scrub 'em, and make sure the innards aren't hanging tough. No rub is necessary. The mopping sauce is the key, and luckily, it is very simple. In fact, I don't measure anything, I just throw it together and make it by taste. It should taste tangy from the vinegar and have a prominent salt and garlic taste. If it is weak tasting, add more salt or garlic. As you cook, and as the sauce evaporates the salt does become stronger. Anyhow......heat to boiling and use it liberally.[p]TO COOK: [p]Throw the yardbird halves on the hot egg with a generous mopping. Turn and mop every 5-10 minutes. Grab a new beer when the one you're drinking is empty or warm (I hear they get warm, but can't prove it). Baste both sides on each turn. The chicken's done in about 90-120 minutes (or 9-12 beers) depending on BGE temp or your balance. You can tell when the chicky is done when the chicken halves feel like they are going to fall apart when you flip them. They should be pretty dark brown on both sides.