Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yet another new table -- with table nest

Dakine_Egger
Dakine_Egger Posts: 13
edited May 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Long time lurker, first time poster...

I recently finished my Egg table.  Thanks to the Naked Whiz for his plans.  As I got great ideas from this forum, I thought I would post some lessons learned for other future table builders.  The biggest lesson learned is that the table nest adds about 2 inches to the overall height of the Egg.  There's very little information out there about the table nest (several dealers I called had no idea what it was), and I wasn't sure I was going to use one.  After reading about potential heat damage to the table and/or stone, I decided to buy one after the table was built.  Consequently, my Egg sits about 2 inches too high in the table for my liking.  Someday, I will probably unscrew the lower shelf and move it down a bit.  With the table nest, dimension X in the plans (height from top of lower shelf to top of table) can be 17" maximum.  For the hinge to comfortably open, I'd probably recommend 16 1/2."  As an FYI for the table nest, last night I had the Egg going nuclear for pizzas -- the ash pit was glowing red.  I also use a Hi Que grate.  There was lots of heat radiating from the bottom of the Egg, and the legs of the table nest were scorching hot.  The granite was pretty hot, too, but not as hot as it would have been if the Egg sat directly on the granite.

I built the table out of redwood.  The frame is made out of 1x4s, and the legs are 4x4s.  Once I made the lower shelf frame, I decided to reinforce it with 2x4s pressure treated lumber as an inside frame that also attaches to the 4x4 legs.  I also added L braces to the area where the Egg sits.  I had nightmares about the Egg crashing onto the ground.  You can see the framing in this picture:

Like others, I used a Kreg pocket jig, so there are no exposed screws on the table.  I paid $60 for two remnant pieces of granite.  I would recommend 2 cm thickness for the granite as opposed to the more common 3 cm.  2 cm sits nearly flush with the 1x4 pieces of wood on the surfaces.  For my table, both pieces of granite were about 18x21."  I modified the Naked Whiz's plans for the top in order to have the granite extend all the way to the front edge of the table.  This allows for easier wiping of stuff off the granite.  I finished the table with a semi-solid outdoor stain and sealer that is supposed to last for six years.  By then, I fully expect to have built another table to accommodate two or more Eggs.  Here are the final shots:

And of course, a pic of the first cook with the new table:

Since getting the Egg, our family rarely goes out to eat anymore, especially for barbecue.  But we recently made our first pilgrimage to a famous joint.  I'm guessing that many people will be able to name this place just from this picture:

Thanks to everyone for your help with the table and all things Egg!

Comments

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    nice looking table and yes please on the food
  • Yup, the Salt Lick!
  • GeauxEggin
    GeauxEggin Posts: 31
    Is the table nest a BGE eggcessory?  Didn't see it on the website, and haven't seen it at my dealer.  Looks neat.
  • Yes, it's made by BGE. It's a new product, and none of the dealers I called had it in stock. The product code for the large is NESTABL. It's built similar to the regular nest -- two pieces of sturdy metal screwed together to make four legs. Surprisingly, it was cheaper than any other BGE eggcessory I've purchased (less than $25).
  • trip150
    trip150 Posts: 55
    Very nicely done!  i like the granite
  • spotco2
    spotco2 Posts: 61
    That's the first I've seen of the table nest also....pretty cool and your table looks great.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Bottle opener for Guinness??? WTF? Guinness in a can.  IN A CAN!!!!

:))

Table looks great. Nice job
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited May 2012
    Draft guinness or no guinness!
    No need to over engineer these things. Spans are minimal, and the weight barely registers

A woman in high heels is a greater point load than a water bed is, and she doesn't plunge through the floor

Your egg cant even make a single 1x4 (on edge) deflect when spanning two feet, let alone fail

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Really nice table and great pointers for others building their own table. Thanks for posting.
  • hartofatiger
    hartofatiger Posts: 204
    Great table.  I can't find dimensions on the BGE website.  You mentioned 2" height.  Can you get me an exact measurement.  I posted a pic on another thread where my brick walls are built and starting to cut the fire brick.  I like the granite and table nest much more.  I'll also call HQ.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

Looks great!  I think i am going to build one largely similar to this, maybe with cedar or mahogany (personally i like the western cedar look), and i have some granite slab around i never used.  Getting ready to pull the trigger and bring one of these babies home, but i am torn between large and xl....everything in me says go big even thoguh i have a small family!  I want a home ready for it when it comes!  Just like having a baby!  Thanks for all the great info............

Chrispy

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• ccpoulin1
    My wife just reminded me that i never just cook for the family, i think that is reassurance to just go ahead and get the XL!  I really enjoy this forum, and the free exchange of ideas.  I hope to be active in this community of what appear to be fine people.  Have a good day!, and.....  Great job Dakine_Egger!  I will be studying your table closely!

• Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    The Nest is 2 inches high, I have one as well for the XL. 
    Go XL ccpoulin, you wont regret it. Your name sounds french, are you from Quebec? If so buy it from the US (Heatwave in NY) and save 50% on the price compared to Canada.
    Quebec - Canada
  • ccpoulin1

The name is French, but I moved from Vermont about 14 years ago to lovely south Florida ( West Palm Beach area).  I am tired of gas grills, so this is the jump i am making.  The egg does better than any gas grll i have looked at, and versatility......no comparison.  I just had a neck surgery, so i can not lift anything, but i am chomping at the bit to get one of these into my back yard.  I have a couple of friends who can move it for me until i build a table/ outdoor kitchen area!  Thanks for the advice!

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    where did you actually purchase the best from?
  • I agree with Stike regarding draft-only Guinness.  For that reason, I don't think that bottle opener will ever touch one of its namesake beers.
    Great table.  I can't find dimensions on the BGE website.  You mentioned 2" height.  Can you get me an exact measurement.  I posted a pic on another thread where my brick walls are built and starting to cut the fire brick.  I like the granite and table nest much more.  I'll also call HQ.
    As Bjorg mentioned, the table nest raises the Egg by two inches.  From the surface the table nest rests upon to the lowest portion of the hinges when the Egg is open is 17" +/- 1/4".  
    where did you actually purchase the best from?
    I was getting ready to purchase one from a dealer, but I found one on eBay for about the same price with faster shipping.

Thanks, all!
  • stranny00
    stranny00 Posts: 36
    Did you use any sealer on the granite?
  • EggSmokeVa
    EggSmokeVa Posts: 378
    Nice table.. Me and a buddy are going to begin building one for my new BGE next week... Thanks for the advice 
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    stike said:
     No need to over engineer these things. Spans are minimal, and the weight barely registers A woman in high heels is a greater point load than a water bed is, and she doesn't plunge through the floor Your egg cant even make a single 1x4 (on edge) deflect when spanning two feet, let alone fail

The static load is not a real problem for most table designs. I think it is useful tho to make these tables stouter than might be necessary if they are going to be on wheels and moved around. Between the racking that might happen when rolling around and wheels catching on patio cracks or such it never hurts to "overdo it".
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• flyer_egger
    flyer_egger Posts: 128
    very nice table

NEPA, Med egg,
  • Fireman_Joe
    Fireman_Joe Posts: 298
    Nice work !
    Gambrills,Maryland