Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Making your own wood chunks

Options
GA_Dawgs
GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
First time poster, long time reader. This site has been a great source of knowledge since I got my egg about a month ago, thank you all!

I wanted to see if anyone has any experience making their own wood chunks. I recently had some maples taken down in my yard and I kept some wood and was also able to get some apple wood from my in-laws apple tree that fell during a recent storm.

My thought process is that I can cut some 4 inch thick disks from the branches and let them cure or use them slightly green. Does anyone have any advice or experience doing this? Sorry if this topic has already been broached, I did a search and didn't find anything. Thanks!

Comments

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    Options
    Cut them into whatever size chunks you want, and keep them dry for 6mo-1yr...(unless the trees were dead for a while, then they may be good sooner)... I'd use a bandsaw if you have one, but any means of cutting them should work...
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options

I have friends give me apple and pecan branches all the time. I usually do exactly what you are describing. I cut them into puck size with a jig saw and throw them into a five gallon bucket in my garage. Another guy gets me these square hickory sticks from a friend of his that owns a cabinet shop. I buy about one bag of cherry chips a year. The rest is given to me. Pretty lucky I guess.

• brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99
    Options

+1 I go to Wal Mart or a gas station and usually buy a bundle of Maple or Birch, cut it into chunks and use it that way. I like lots of smoke so this works best for me.  A little bag of wood chips doesn't last me very long.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you can use them right away if you want. no need to season them. many prefer green wood for smoking.
    you may find out you prefer them one way or the other (green or seasoned), but there's no reason to follow someone else's rule
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

Doesn't Myron on BBQ Pitmaster only use Green peach wood?

Cookin in Texas
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options

When I cut firewood (Oak) I usually take a few smaller bits and save them for smoke wood - splitting them green is easiest.

If I haven't any when I light my egg I grab a saw and cut some green.

If I can't be bothered I just chuck a bit of branch in (I think I might have smoked my last trout fillet with Rhododendron as the bark had been removed from the branch in the woodpile!).

• stike
    Options
    even bark can be good.  i'd never waste time debarking, personally.  i haven't ever actually bothered with hickory WOOD itself, because i simply use the fallen hickory (shag) bark.  sweetest smoke of any i have tried so far.
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options

Thanks for the replies.  Looks like I should try some green since I have the opportunity.

• teddyg
    teddyg Posts: 4
    Options
    Would 1 year old dry oak bark work OK? I have been using them for fire stove starters.  
  • stike
    Options
    i have thrown chunks of oak bark in.  give it a shot.
    if it smells good, it'll taste good.