Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Original Egg owner looking for thoughts on refurbishing

Options
jimk10
jimk10 Posts: 3
edited May 2012 in Forum Feedback
Hi BGE Community,

My Father purchased one of the original Eggs (Didn't know it even had a name or following) in the 70s or 80s. Anyway, the shell looks like it could use a fresh coat of paint, and the fire pit & ring both need replacement as of this weekend when I was cleaning it up for 1st time in a long time. I did use it 2 weeks ago with a tri tip and appreciate why Dad purchased it. WOW what flavor.
I believe its a large, but has no temp gauge and ceramic plate that covers, or uncovers, the air vent on the bottom.

Can I drill a small hole in the top for the temp gauge and should I replace the pit & ring? Lots of questions come to mind on this beauty but I had to start somewhere. I love this BGE! :)

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Comments

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Options
    The thing should still be under warranty right? Life time warranty. If the fire ring and box are broken those might qualify for a free replacement? As for the fade on the outside I don't think that is covered, but if it is chipping away that might be?

I am not sure how it works on such old units.

I would NOT drill any holes into it.
  • jimk10
    Options
    Thanks Adam. No drilling, check. As for lifetime warranty, Id like to believe that could be the case but this is an old egg, and no email reply yet from customer support or retail@biggreenegg.com. I'm hopeful all things considered but not confident I'll be covered. Attached is a pic of where the BGE started :)
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Are you sure yours is a BGE or one  brought back from SE Asin in the "60's.  I brought one back in '68 but alas it is long gone.  This one I salvaged from an estate sale a few years back and the unit is a little smaller that large bge, but the bottom vent door fit and a small carbide drill tip will do for the thermometer.  Just remember to keep it under 375 or so. NO lava fires.  The firering and box should be the same if original BGE.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1156764&catid=1
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    +1 for this is not an egg

XLBGE 
  • jimk10
    Options
    Good info to have. Kinda resembled an egg in more ways than one :) Thanks for the insight gents. Considering your comment Richard, I think I'll buy a fire box & ring which I had planned to do anyway.
  • Ottawa_Eggman
    Ottawa_Eggman Posts: 111
    Options
    As far as the out side finish just get a couple of can of high temp paint

• jimk10
    Options
    Thanks all for the clarification, i so wanted this to be an egg..alas its not. Now with all my excitement I'm going to get one, probably a large. I may turn this non-egg into a planter since its not advisable to cook anything with high temps.
    I received a call late last week from BGE HQ and confirmed what I had, or didn't have. Ah well, good rep I talked to, very helpful.

More questions will follow from me once i get my new official BGE :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Dont confuse high dome temps with high temps

You can sear at 1200 on that with no issues

How?
    With a dome temp 400-500 and lump somewhat close to the grid, either by lowering the grid or filling with lump

Lump burns at 1200 or more, even when your dome says 250.
    Your eggs will sear just fine. Some folks as a rule sear at 400 dome anyway

So why do people claim you cant cook in that hing at decent temps? Dunno. Most of them dont own one, and are repeating admonitions that keep getting repeated simlly because they get repeated so often

The danger with the old earthenware kamados (whether yours is a BGE brand is irrelevant. It IS an old kamado) is that they can absorb water and experience cracking either through freeze/thaw (dont leave it outside in the winter), or from taking to crazy temps after periods of long soaking rains

Keep temps moderate (say 500 max), and have a ball. If you are considering making it a planter, you'll be ruining it anyway. Better to 'ruin' it by actually using it. But i'm betting you wont ruin it at all. The original owner didnt

A high temp paint will keep the rain off. The new eggs are made of a different ceramic and are glazed (effectively, glass-coated). But by painting yours (they were originally pained) and using it at less than skyrocket temps, you'll certainly be able to use it just like the original egg owners did.

Check the Naked Whiz's site for an original owner's manual
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante