Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First butt this weekend

Options
balliardi
balliardi Posts: 72
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Jubilee celebrations over here in the UK so got the family coming over for a party on saturday afternoon. Got a couple of butts approx 10lb ordered and will be putting them on friday night (approx 8pm) for a low and slow, hoping they'll be ready on Satuday late morning. Have a maverick to monitor temp.

Any tips for me? 

Thanks all!

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options

Pork butts are very forgiving and different people have differnt things that they like to do.  Some wrap in foil at about 170 IT and let it go to 200 in the foil.

I start about hour #4 spraying mine with a generous spray of apple juice and I do not foil.

I will take it off the smoker when it reaches 195 and wrap in HD aluminum foil, towels and put in a cooler.  You will see that referred to ATC.

It has to cool some before you can handle it, but you want to pull it when it is still hot and serve it soon. I spray apple juice on mine when I pull it, throw a handful of rub in with the apple juice, and sauce very lightly.

You will figure out what you like best.  Good luck.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,330
    Options

Assuming (hate that word) your 10 lbs are composed of two 5 lb butts then the cook will take about the same time as one 5 # butt so your plan may finish early-at around 250*F+/- (or 120*C +/-) I see around 2 hrs/#.  If finished early you can always FTC (Foil, towels and cooler) for several hours til time to pull and eat.  Just make sure the dome thermo is calibrated and stable before loading the butts.  Ash is cleaned out and you have good air flow. Enjoy-

Here's a good link for all things ceramic and check the recipes for additional pork and more info:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options

Assuming (hate that word) your 10 lbs are composed of two 5 lb butts then the cook will take about the same time as one 5 # butt so your plan may finish early-at around 250*F+/- (or 120*C +/-) I see around 2 hrs/#.  If finished early you can always FTC (Foil, towels and cooler) for several hours til time to pull and eat.  Just make sure the dome thermo is calibrated and stable before loading the butts.  Ash is cleaned out and you have good air flow. Enjoy-

Here's a good link for all things ceramic and check the recipes for additional pork and more info:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm 

My bad in previous post, I said ATC, but Lousubcap is right with the FTC.
  • balliardi
    Options
    Thanks! Two 10lb butts so 20 in total. Ready with the FTC!

I'm a little worried about holding the temp; I did lo and slow ribs at the weekend and the vent was literally shut to maintain 120c 225f with the only air through the vent handle hole bit!
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options

I recently got my egg and have done multiple butts lately and a couple of picinics also.  I try to dial my dome temp in at 265f and it takes somewhere between 14-18 hours to get the meat up to 200-205f.  All of the meat has been between 9-11 lbs. 

I don't do anything fancy, I just take my meat from the fridge right after I light my Egg and put on the rub.  I make sure the fire is going and put in the placesetter and grate.  I let the Egg get to temp and make sure temp is stabilized then throw on the butt/picnics and let them go.  I don't spray or foil when in the Egg, just let it go and open the lid as little as possible to check.  I maintain temp with dome thermometer and use an instant read for the meat temp. 

For me to maintain my temp and keep it steady the bottom vent is usually open 1/8 -1/4" and the DW is open just a sliver.  The only thing I may change is to pull the meat from 195 to 200f.

• lousubcap
    edited May 2012
    Options

Key is to not grossly overshoot your target temp-if you leave the dome open to initially get a good fire going-set the lower vent and DMFT to about where you expect them to be when steady-state at the time you shut the dome. Then adjust as necessary-and don't sweat "dead-on" temps for the low&slow cooks. 270*F+/- 30*F is close enough.  Just get the BGE stable and then let it do the work.  You can spend the cook chasing temperature (remember the fire is responding to air flow changes so the feedback loop has quite a delay time).  Pork is very forgiving.  Relax and enjoy the journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    And check out the above naked whiz site for building a fire-key here is to make sure you load enough lump with adequate air-flow to sustain the projected 20 hour+/- cook with room for error.  If you want them finished by late Sat AM then with the potential for a 20 hour cook, they should go on Friday afternoon.  Or you can search "turbo butts" and see how to get them done in much less time.  Enjoy the journey-
  • balliardi
    Options
    And we're off! Not quite the butts I've seen on here and youtube (probably an english butcher issue - there's a fair bit of bone), but nevermind, they're big old joints, and there's two of em. There's a big layer of fat, so decided to go fat side up, bone side down. My remote therm is a dream - got 252 grate temp and 55 internal at the moment (started at 50 about an hour ago), kicking back & chillin. 8.30pm in the UK, hoping to eat around 2-3pm tomorrow. FTC at the ready.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    When you hit the stall (and each butt will behave in its own fashion) be ready for a long spell with no temperature increase (possibly decrease).  Patience is the watchword-it can take several hours to get through the 160*F's as the stall will usually occur somewhere around 160...there may be another around 180 or so but that one is comparitively short...enjoy the end results.
  • balliardi
    Options
    Thanks Lou. It's now almost 7am London and we're at 244 grate, 171 meat. I *think* it might be in the stall.

I'm in bed and posting - love the maverick!

Didn't sleep too well worrying about the cook - shouldn't have - the egg is of course awesome and just doing its thing as it should!
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Hopefully you have gotten through the stall/plateau and are at the finish-line.  If not there and pressed for time, you can up the dome temperature to around 300*F or so to punch it home.  Also, you do not need to rest the butt like you would a roast-you can remove from the BGE and let cool for a few minutes then pull based on your schedule.  Enjoy the journey and now the results:)
  • balliardi
    Options
    Lou, you've been like a coach! Many thanks. The first took to 1pm to reach 196 where I pulled it. FTC for that one. The second was only at 183 at that time, so it got another hour and half. We ate at about 3pm, so was around 18hrs for the cook (approx 10lb each). Both were amazingly tender and juicy - and the guests were all happy! I served it in brown rolls with chipotle mayo, BBQ sauce and "i fought the slaw and the slaw won" slaw which was really good.

It's only fair to share some pics...

• lousubcap
    Options
    @balliardi-Looks and sounds like a winner all around-glad it all worked out.  While fresh-make yourself a few notes so you can build upon the experience next time.  Well-done!  I'm gettin hungry!
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    +1 on Lou being a great coach he helped me through my brisket panic last weekend!
    Lynnwood WA
  • DevDave
    DevDave Posts: 40
    Options
    Nice Pork! 

Why do you wrap your wires of the Maverick?  I've cooked many many times low and slow and never had a problem with mine... 
  • balliardi
    Options
    Only wrapped the wires coz I'd seen someone on here do it! Probably didn't need to
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I used to just wrap them to help protect when roasting (>300 <500), now I do it to keep the wires shiny.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket!