Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs?

my65falcon
my65falcon Posts: 17
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
What are the best ribs and what's the best way to cook them/ prepare them?

Comments

• grillman65
    grillman65 Posts: 81
    For me, I've only done baby back ribs, with membrane pulled off.  I use a dry rub, and use the 3-2-1 method.  3 hours on the grate, then wrap in foil with a little bit of apple juice, for another 2 hours, then unwrap and back on the grate un-covered for the last hour.  Cooking temp is 200 degrees.  I also use a water pan under them to add moisture.  This is all on my pellet grill.  Not sure if I'll have room for the water pan with the BGE, when I get it.

Phil
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,166

@ OP-the best ribs are the one's you enjoy best so it could be  baby backs, spares, spares/St louis, beef ribs or probably some others I failed to list.  The most popular here are spares and bb's.  Cooking methods are as varied as there are cooks-experiment and find the method(s) that works for you.

Here are a few links to help:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm A great site for learning a good bit about ceramic cooking and check the recipes.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html 

Enjoy the journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    For me, I've only done baby back ribs, with membrane pulled off.  I use a dry rub, and use the 3-2-1 method.  3 hours on the grate, then wrap in foil with a little bit of apple juice, for another 2 hours, then unwrap and back on the grate un-covered for the last hour.  Cooking temp is 200 degrees.  I also use a water pan under them to add moisture.  This is all on my pellet grill.  Not sure if I'll have room for the water pan with the BGE, when I get it.

Phil
    Phil, you won't need a water pan on the BGE.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I usually do baby backs but did some spares this weekend. I really enjoy them both. I like mine very tender so I go three hours uncovered, wrap in foil for 1.5 hours or so till I like the way they look. And finish with sauce for a while as I let the temp come up slightly. Sometimes I actually do the last part direct.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Can't edit yet, if doing the last part direct you have to turn regularly
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • my65falcon
    So Indirect plate setter legs up with the girl on top? What about prepration before they go on?
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Legs up- girl with the girl on top sounds good to me !!!!  Weeeee....

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431

Ha, "legs up with girl on top" . . . . . classic typo.

Anyway, did a rack of baby back ribs on monday and was my favorite rib result yet. Similar to 3/2/1 or C.W.M. method, but had under 5 hrs, so i did: 2.5 hrs indirect smoke, 1 hour in foil, 1 hour indirect. I think its all about the details, so here is what worked for me . .

2.5 hours indirect at 250F dome temp, 3 chunks apple and 1 chunk hickory (layered in with wicked good charcoal during coal build), ribs vertical on v-rack, empty drip pan below. Ribs covered in yellow mustard, then 2 bbq dry rubs I got in memphis (pics). Membrane removed, and sat in fridge 30 mins with mustard/rub as I let the egg (full of new charcoal and wood) burn 30 mins before meat went live. image

1 hour wrapped tight in heavy duty aluminum foil at same temp, but lay foil package flat on grill and remove v-rack. Before foil is wrapped tight, covered complete in a awesome honey/tiger sauce mixture, then a nice pour of wet mixture on top (apple juice/apple cider vinegar/dizzy dust/wochest.sauce). image

1 hour out of foil back on grill, same temp and same setup. I did 30 mins this way, opened the egg and painted with dark kc style sauce (from here in columbus, oh) all over and then finished the last 30 mins with sauce on grill. I am a rookie with only 5 or so bge rib attempts total, but was my fav so far with texture (not sloppy fall-off bone but very tender) and great smoke flavor. image

Any critique or suggestions? I love the sweet/spicey combo the honey and tiger sauce glaze created, so thinking thats a keeper. Worst case is I now have my favorite method so far documented here, but its sure to evolve again soon!

imageimage

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • my65falcon
    Guess I didn't see that typo tell now! Bahahahaaaa!! thanks everyone for your help it's much appreciated!
  • DenaSmoker
    DenaSmoker Posts: 44
    So is the V-rack necessary?  I had an impulse buy of ribs over the weekend and I don't have a V-rack...went to go pick one up at my local dealer and they only have the small (I would like the large V-Rack).  I want to get these ribs cooked but I'm still waiting on the large V-rack to come in. 
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    So is the V-rack necessary?  I had an impulse buy of ribs over the weekend and I don't have a V-rack...went to go pick one up at my local dealer and they only have the small (I would like the large V-Rack).  I want to get these ribs cooked but I'm still waiting on the large V-rack to come in. 
    The v rack is not necessary, but comes in handy if doing more than a couple of racks @ the same time.
    Edina, MN

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    The only time you may want to use a V-rack is to put multiple racks of ribs on at the same time. 
    You can also look for a roast rack, and turn it upside down. 
    I've made my racks laying flat, easier when saucing.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • DenaSmoker
    Cool thanks for responses Bud and taz.  Also I see a lot of the recipes say to put mustard on before you put the rub on.  Are they using referring to regular mustard?  Not mustard seed or anything? 
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Yep....regular yellow mustard.
  • DenaSmoker
    Awesome...I can't wait to try it!