Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Xl large - temp control

Mflyer
Mflyer Posts: 59
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
My uncle purchased an x-large BGE several months ago and we are having problems controlling the temp. On long cooks we use the BBQ guru with the vent on the guru full open. We have also tried cooking with vent on the guru halfway open, but still find it difficult. I personally have a large BGE and use the BBQ guru all the time with no problems! In order to determine if the pit lead was reading accurately, I tested it against a Therma-pen and they were within a couple degrees. When you open the lid for just a second the guru has a hard time getting back to temp and sometimes never reaches the desired temp again. It almost seems the fan is not large enough. The fan that is recommended on BBQ site is the 10 CFM. Does anyone have a recommendations or tricks for controlling the temp??

Comments

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Do you have any problems controlling the temp manually or just with the guru?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Mflyer
    To be honest, the guru has made me lazy. I always get it close to temp and plug in the guru. I was cooking pulled beef over the weekend and wanted to maintain 375 for several hours. I got the BGE up to temp and plugged in the guru. The only way for the BGE to maintain 375 was to not have the daisy wheel on and the fan was constantly regulating! I tried putting the daisy wheel on with it opened all the way and it immediately starting bringing the temp down. So, I took it completely off and it held, but once I opened the lid to check on the meat it would never get back up to temp!! 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

I use the digiq on my XL a couple of times each week and I have to keep the damper at one half for cooks under 300 degrees.  I leave the damper wide open and the daisy wheel off for anything above 325 and have never had a problem reaching or holding the temperature.  I'm wondering if your digiq fan is not working correctly.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    I have had one issue holding temp and it was my fault (not enough lump). My guess is there is an issue with the Guru fan as stated above.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Could the holes in your grate be blocked? Is your fire box opening lined up with the vent opening?
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Mflyer
    "Could the holes in your grate be blocked? Is your fire box opening lined up with the vent opening?"
    No, I cleaned it out prior to the cook. Everything was aligned and clear! I beginning to think it is a fan issue...