Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corn with ribs?

njl
njl Posts: 1,123
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'll be doing spare ribs for my first time on the egg in the next day or two.  While at the store just now, I felt the urge to buy some fresh corn on the cob.  Never having grilled it, I'm wondering the following:

a) is it worth the trouble of doing the corn on the grill (with or immediately after the ribs), or should we just boil it?
b) if I put it on the grill does it make sense to try to cook it as the ribs finish?...I'm guessing husked and foiled, it might need 30min or so at 250F...or am I better off waiting til the ribs are off, increase the temp, and do the corn in 20min or so at 350F or so?

Comments

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    I don't think temp matters.    I cook mine in the husk.      Boiling water is at 212 so no need to bring up to 350.    I would stick them around the ribs.     There was a post a couple days back with a bunch of ways to cook them I thought someone suggested butter under the husks as they cook
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I don't think temp matters.    I cook mine in the husk.      Boiling water is at 212 so no need to bring up to 350.    I would stick them around the ribs.     There was a post a couple days back with a bunch of ways to cook them I thought someone suggested butter under the husks as they cook
    America's Test Kitchen did a taste test and basically found corn BBQ'd with husks on tastes overwhelmingly like, well, husk. Yesterday I BBQ'd corn for first time, and the method I used was delicious. I removed husks, silk, patted dry, and then put them in tin foil with butter on them. I rotated them occassionally and cooked for abt 30 mins at 500 (bge hot from previous cook). The corn came out GREAT much better than I anticipated, and I will be doing this method, time permitting, when I make corn from now on.

I got the idea from BGE official cookbook, but they recommend cooking at 450 for 45 minutes. Best of luck.
  • joe317
    joe317 Posts: 28
    I always take the husk and silk off when I grill my corn. Then I pour some melted butter on them and put them straight on the grill (no foil) on direct turning them about every 3-4 minutes. I like doing this after the main course is done so I have more room. The corn always comes out great with several niblets slightly blackened. Typically don't even need to add more butter to eat. Just salt to taste and enjoy.
  • njl
    I decided to foil one and put it in early with the ribs, figuring if I liked it, I could do the rest. 

First problem though, I hadn't considered how little room is left on the grid with the ribs (6 half slabs of spares) in a rib rack.  I don't think I could get more than a couple ears in there. 

Second, I'm kind of shocked by how long its taking.  I thought maybe 30 minutes, and I'd turn it every 10.  Grid temp has been right around 250F, and 30 minutes didn't seem to have done anything to it.  I keep taking it off to check...but it's been on about 1.5 hours now, and is just starting to smell like cooked corn.  It's still kind of hard though, so I put it back.  I was concerned I'd burn part touching the grid...but that doesn't seem to be an issue.  I didn't even use HD foil...just a square of the regular stuff.

Final problem...I didn't really pay attention to the weather when planning all this.  It's raining on my egg now.
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    I used to always do corn in foil, then tried in husks, both required too much prep. Now I do them directly on the grill, bare corn, only takes a few minutes and taste is much better than the other methods, in my opinion. Salt and butter to taste.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    At 25 cents an ear this is the time of the year for me to be testing corn cooking styles. Hahaha
  • Wreckt01
    Wreckt01 Posts: 28
    i boil for 10 mins then throw on the egg at watever tmep my cook is at. Then coat with mixture of butter, garlic and pepper. cook until i have the char i like and eat. always good and painless.
  • njl
    The one on the egg in foil @250F took 2 hours, and was fine...but not really any different from the rest which I boiled for a few minutes.

Conclusion:  Cooking foiled corn on the egg during a low and slow, not worth the effort unless your stove top is unusable.
  • TripleD
    TripleD Posts: 14
    Pull husk back and remove silk. Wrap with a strip of bacon and pull husk closed. Throw on egg 250F for 30-45 minute. Remove bacon and enjoy. (Everything's better with bacon.)
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Like a couple of previous posters, I just put a husked ear of corn on the BGE @350 or so, turn every two or three minutes and in about 10 minutes it is done.

I'm doing this on direct raised cook, not indirect.  The butter before grilling sounds like a good idea, but I just butter mine after it is grilled.  Just like you would butter after boiling.

• centex99
    centex99 Posts: 231
    microwave for ~6 min/ear tastes better than boiling anyday... (left in husk for microwave)