Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Brisket

TarHeelBBQTarHeelBBQ Posts: 261
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Fellow Eggers,

I am in the BBQ business.  I work for a manufacturer that still cooks BBQ over open coals every night.  Brisket has been a very difficult product for us to master.  We have had very nice brisket but sometimes inconsistant.  One batch we had 2 amazing briskets and one that was dry as a bone.  I can't figure out what is going on.  These we cooked at 200 degrees until 190.  How does two briskets end up perfect and one terrible?  I can't figure out the inconsistant piece.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated.

Thanks,

TarHeelBBQ

Comments

• GeauxEgginGeauxEggin Posts: 29
    Every brisket I've cooked seems to have its own personality.  Some are done at 185, some at 200.  Could be that the dried out one needed to cook a little more, or a little less.  It's hard getting every one in a batch equal since the meat isn't equal to start with.  Best advice I'd have is at 185 start checking all of them with your icepick/thermapen/sharp object for tenderness and pull each one at its own pace.
  • TarHeelBBQTarHeelBBQ Posts: 261

Thanks,

This is a really hard peice of meat to perfect. 

• DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118

Thanks,

This is a really hard peice of meat to perfect. 

Truer words were never spoken.  Even the eggsperts will tell you this.  I did one this weekend and it was "fair". Have done many "great" ones over the years and all the variables(that I can control) are the same.  

It is just the damn piece of beef!!!!!!!!!!!!!!