Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ nom noms (lots of pics)

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
We had a great weekend of eating and had a couple of 1st attempts on the egg.  Until Saturday, I hadn't grilled center-cut pork chops on the egg (or steaks) but I got er done and was happy with the results.

Each seasoned differently - Cowlick, Red Eye Express, Dizzy Dust and Raising the Steaks.  Seared using the spider and roasted at around 400 until temp was reached.

Topped with Texas Gourmet Foods - Texas Passion Habanero Jelly

On Sunday, I got mentally prepared and threw on my 1st brisket at 9pm (13 pound USDA Choice).  These ingredients should look similar (more on that later). ;)

Initially, the fire was a lil too hot and didn't settle in @ 235 until about 11:30pm.  The pit was rock steady at temp for about 40 min before I got it on, but I guess the Stoker fan kicked on while I had the lid open to add foil under the drip pan and put on the meat.  Wicked Good plus the lid open and forced oxygen from the Stoker had my temp at 300 at the early stages.

Got word that the gym was closing early for Memorial Day, so I pulled at 5pm (temp was at 200.3 in the flat and 194.4 in the point when pulled) and went to work out.  I double wrapped in foil and then in towels and tossed her into the cooler.  When I got home, I made the corn bread, heated up the beans, grilled corn and then pulled a @Doc_Eggerton 

For my 1st attempt, my guests and I were very satisfied with the results.  It came out very moist...even the flat was good which I usually hate.

The spread - w/ Salt Lick BBQ Sauce.  I know The Cen-Tex Smoker appreciates that and he was a lot of the reason why I got some.

A special thanks to Village Idiot for the Texas BBQ Grand Champion Rub.  It was excellent on the brisket and I see why it's your favorite.  Also, thanks for the Texas Passion Habanero Jelly and your recommendation for it on pork chops.  I appreciate the Salado Fest gifts and i'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Also, a big shout out to @travisstrick for walking me through my brisket cook.  My ingredients are a mirror image to what he did a few months ago and he assisted me with the entire process and answered all my questions.  I definitely had confidence going in thanks to the eggheadforum's James Brown!!  Thanks again sir! :)
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I am officially hungry now.  That looks delicious.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options

Cazzy are you from MN?  Your brisket looks great, I am from MN and have been having a hard time finding the packer, we seem to be limited to flats.

If you are local where did you buy your brisket?

Edina, MN

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Negative. I'm in Texas and brisket packers are readily accessible just about everywhere. It sucks that you can't find it. Have you tried going to a smaller meat market and not a mainstream one? You might be able to put in a special request for the cut.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

Cazzy are you from MN?  Your brisket looks great, I am from MN and have been having a hard time finding the packer, we seem to be limited to flats.

I'm from MN (Big Lake). I have a local butcher I get everything and he is cheap also. What part of MN are you in?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    Options

I'm from MN (Big Lake). I have a local butcher I get everything and he is cheap also. What part of MN are you in?

Edina, area.  Costco only has the flats.

What is the name of your butcher?

TIA

Edina, MN

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    That looks delicious!
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options

Edina, area.  Costco only has the flats.

What is the name of your butcher?

TIA

I live in Mankato, got a choice packer at Sam's a couple of weeks ago. $2.58/lb.  They don't always have them so I check every time I go.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    Love Allegro marinades.  They have a new one with soy, lime and horseradish.  Great on chicken.  Good looking grub!!!!
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    cazzy,

Nice work! The chops look great. 
    :-bd
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Looks like you "Aced" the weekend.  Great job with pics.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Looks good. I'm glad it turned out well.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Heck yeah, looks awesome!