Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best tongue (so far)

Options
gdenby
gdenby Posts: 6,239
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been cooking tongue from before I got my first Egg. I started with brief pressure cooking, followed by a session on my ECB. Altho' I continued doing a brief pressure cook to make peeling the tongue easier before Egging it, the Egg can do it low and slow with great results. I bought a sous vide controller last Christmas, and found that a preliminary cook in the water bath, followed by and Egg smoking session made for great results.

Image 1. A beef tongue cut into 3 sections. Bottom left, the "root," which is fattier and full of thick seams of connective tissue. Top left, The top back of the tongue, seperated from the root. Right, the tip. Total weight, 3.8 lbs.

Image 2. The three sections after 72 hours at 140F. Note that the fluid in the center bag, which holds the root, is browner. I believe this was because there was some air left in the bag. All bags were weighted down under a plate.

A little more than 2 cups of fluid came out of the sections. The sections had been bagged with just some canning salt. I used a bit too much. The pieces were suffused w. salt, and very tasty straight from the bath. I kept the fluid for basting, but did not save it for gravy because it was saltier than I like.

Image 3. A cross cut of the tip of the tongue. Note the thickness of the "skin" on the top. Before cooking, its like rough leather. After 72 hrs. in the bath, I could push it off with my fingers.

Image 4. The blade is 3" long. The knife cost .10 at a second hand store. I like its shape, but it cannot take much of an edge. Nevertheless, I was able to easily peel the skin away with it. Altho' the texture was a little odd, the shavings were perfectly edible.

Image 5. On the left, the root section, rubbed with John Henry's Old Stockyard rub. In the center, the back portion with my own all purpose rub. On right, the tip with some Wooster splashed on, and some additional black pepper. DP Cowlick is also very good on tongue, which is why, when I went to use some, I found less than a thimble left from previous cooks.

Image 6. The pieces after about 45 min, direct, raised, dome about 260F, lots of oak chips. The root's temperature was over 200, the back portion was a little over 190, and the tip, tho' thinest, was under 190. The pieces were all flipped once, and rotated, so they would get about the same exposure to heat. Basted lightly when flipped. Total yield, about 1 3/4 pounds.

Image 7. Cutting into the cooked pieces. You should be able to see how "juicy" the melted collagen makes the lean meat look.

All the pieces ended up amazingly tender. The root had some fat left unrendered, but the thick streaks of connective tissue were so soft, I could barely feel them when I ate small slices. As mentioned above, I used a little too much salt in the bags, so the finished product with the added rubs was saltier than necessary. Thin slices are fine by themselves, but I think the flavor will be very good when mixed with the sour-dough I will be baking in an hour or two.

Comments

• Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    Options
    I dont know if i could eat a tongue.  i did buy a beef heart at the farmers market last weekend i guess thats kinda gross too.

if i try one ill have to try your recipe
  • gdenby
    Options
    I didn't show the pic of the tongue uncut,. It does fit the bill for "gross."

I'd have to say that the few slices I ate when it came off the Egg may have been the best meat I have ever cooked. Served in slices hot, you'd think it was a fine steak, cold in a sandwich, some exotic sausage. Heart is pretty much the same. Harder to prepare, but the finished meat is great.

As people have mentioned, you wouldn't want to see what a hot dog is.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    I dont know of any hot dog that's made from what people think they're made of. Not any brand i buy, anyway

The tongue looks interesting.
    Thanks for the post
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gdenby
    Options
    I dont know of any hot dog that's made from what people think they're made of. Not any brand i buy, anyway 

When I went to the store to buy the tongue, there was a case full of hot dogs on special for the weekend, at .88/lb. I passed. Along the way, I glanced at the section with the pork ears. Hmmm. $2.88/lb. That's twice what they were a year ago, but still not .88/lb.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    well, that is a funny anecdote, but it in no way means that what's used for dogs is even less desirable than pig's ears.

perhaps the dogs in your area are made from anuses and brain scrapings, but i doubt they all are.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • gdenby
    Options
    This is Indiana. Brains are sandwich meat, not stuff for hot dogs
    :P

I know there are hot dogs, and then there are hot dogs. Not all emulsified meats are created equal.

My wife likes fried baloney. She forbade me bringing home pig ears. I brought home a package of baloney, and had her read the label. She still refuses to let me bring home pig ears, in one piece, at least.