Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE DigiQ...pit temp?

War_Eagle_2244
War_Eagle_2244 Posts: 122
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
So, I bit the bullet and decided to purchase the BGE DigiQ this past Friday for my large Egg.  I have only used it once and had great results with the pork tenderloin I cooked but the pit temp didn't get as high as I set it to.  I started the fire like I normally do using one Weber fire starter.  I had the pit temp set to 375.  The fan blew on and off for about 30 min but it only got up to 350.  I had the pit thermometer clipped directly to the grate...is that the correct thing to do?  Just wondering if it is normal to take that long to get up to temperature and why it didn't get all the way up to 375.   TIA  

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Don't know for sure.  Did you have your vents open on the top?  I bought one and really like it, but I only use it when I'm going for 6 hrs or more and at 225-250.
  • CatWrangler
    CatWrangler Posts: 22
    edited May 2012
    Check out your owner's manual. I have a PartyQ & it says that the set temp will maintain within 30degrees +/-

*edit* 20degrees +/-

if blower stays on @ +30degrees of setpoint, you need to reset
    Grom Egger since Sept '11 My Egg Arsenal: Med BGE- Digi PartyQ- Mav ET73- Plate Setter- Stone- Ceramic Grill Works 2 tier- YuengLing-  Florida Panhandle
  • RebelEgg
    RebelEgg Posts: 45
    I have Digi Q and can't remeber it not getting hot enough, sometimes it get too hot. My pop had problems with his but it turned out he had the blower damper almost completely closed. fan was running but not blowing in the fire.
  • cmkratt
    cmkratt Posts: 54
    I have a DigiQ and have never had an issue with getting to 375. First, since you have a large egg, make sure your baffle on the blower is set to 50% open. Second, I would bring the temp up to 300 with both vents wide open, then put the digiQ on. Third, I'd set the daisywheel with the petals about 1/2 open. Clipping to the grate is not a problem, but keep in mind that most temps on the forum are dome, which will be about 25 deg higher than the grate temp.

Finally, and most importantly...

War Eagle!!!
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Are you reading the BGE dome thermo, or the digi thermo when you say it never made 375?
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Cowdogs, exactly.  If the DigiQ says the pit temp is 375, then it is keeping the temperature at the grate where the probe is clipped at 375.  The dome thermometer will show something else.

Catwrangler, the PartyQ doesn't say it will keep the temp plus/minus 30 degrees.  The LED indicator on the PartyQ tells you if the the temperature is within 30 degrees, but the PartyQ should be able to do a lot better than plus/minus 30 degrees once things stabilize.  The original poster said he is using a DigiQ which I found could keep the pit within a few degrees of the target when I tested it. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I've never had a problem with under temp on my digiq on my XL.  If I don't keep the damper down to about one half it will sometimes over temp when set at 250 or less due to airflow through the fan when it isn't running.  Did a brisket this weekend at 225 for over 18 hours and was never more than 1 degree from 225.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    edited May 2012
    Did you check the damper on the fan itself?  I had a similar issue and 45 minutes into the cook I found the fan damper closed.  I opened it up to half way (where I normally run it with my large) and the pit temps came up the set point in a matter of minutes.  This is all assuming you have the pit viper 10cfm fan.