Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Turbo Butts!!

Options
brewcityegger
brewcityegger Posts: 94
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I was up at my parents and in-laws all weekend, and just got back this morning. I decided to do a couple of Turbo butts. First try at turbo butts on the egg, probably should have started with just one, but they come in a 2 pack at Sam's Club, so why not.

I used mustard as a binder and applied Head Country Rub to one and Cow Town rub to the other. On they go at 350, i will put them into foil once they reach an internal temp of 165. I am hoping to have them done in 6 hours or so. Time for a few home brews.

Will post pictures shortly.....

Comments

• brewcityegger
    Options
    Just gettting started..........
  • brewcityegger
    Options

Finished and they tasted great! I would have to say we all liked the Head Country rub better.  Next time I plan on trying Dizzy Dust. Topped the PP with some homemade vinegar finishing sauce and some creamy cole slaw.  Very good.  Also put some ears of corn on the cob on the egg (direct) while the butts were resting.  All and all a very good memorial day. Lots of left overs too.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I am a Turbo fan.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    edited May 2012
    Options
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Excellent! I use a vinegar sauce as well. The turbo or semi turbo works for me. I cooked a 7.5 lb'er on Thurs and it took 8 hours on the nose. I had to run some errands for a couple of hours after I put it on so I kept the temp south of 250. Once I returned I got it up to around 300. Nice bark, great flavor, no worries. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)