Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New table finally

Options
spotco2
spotco2 Posts: 61
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've been toying with the idea to build a new table for the egg but could not really come up with a design that had enough storage space for what I wanted. We ran across this stainless toolbox at Sams a few weeks ago and could not make up my mind if I really wanted a toolbox sitting out on the deck.

I finally broke down and picked it up Saturday night and got it assembled and loaded down yesterday. I've gotta say that I'm pretty stoked about it at this point!

The table top is 72"x20" and about 38" high. This makes for a fantastic prep area. The large drawer houses the adjustable rig with a little room to spare. The medium drawers hold the v-rack and extender for the adjustable rig, plate setter, bar towels and a few other odds and ends. The shallow drawers on the other side are perfect for tongs, spatulas, lighters, rolls of aluminum foil, drop cords, drip pans, pizza stones, etc. The center section with the door is perfect for a couple of bags of lump, wood chunks, cutting boards, etc.

We also liked the fact that we can still easily move the egg or table around to chase the shade on hot summer days.

I hope y'all enjoy my table that's not really a table..

Comments

• spotco2
    Options
    I forgot to add that we are having a weatherproof cover made that will match the egg cover for the box. It should be ready in a few weeks.
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Good idea and functional!! I like it!
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I'd really worry about how that's going to hold up to the elements.  I don't suppose it's deep enough (front to back) that you could lose the center door, cut a hole in the top, and mount the egg in it?
  • spotco2
    Options
    I'd really worry about how that's going to hold up to the elements.  I don't suppose it's deep enough (front to back) that you could lose the center door, cut a hole in the top, and mount the egg in it?
    I've got a gasser built out of the same material except the wood and it has sat out there for 7 years with no cover or rust. I am going to pull the hardwood and give it 3 extra coats of spar urethane (we use it on boats a lot). I think adding the cover will help extend its life even more.

You could cut the center out for a small or medium, but not for a large.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Looks great!
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93