Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pull Whole Pork Loin?

Mattlock
Mattlock Posts: 64
edited May 2012 in Pork
Anyone ever do a pulled whole pork loin? I love pulled pork, but have only done pulled pork butt.
Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    it will pull, but it doesn't have the fat and connective tissue like tougher cuts, which is what makes the PP technique so great
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    edited May 2012
    Not sure it would work.  Pork loin does not have a lot of fat and the muscle structure is a lot different from butt.  Also, if you cook a loin to 190+ it is going to be about as dry as my yard right now.  However, a pork loin on the egg is awesome!!!  The ones I buy are about 3 feet long, so I cut it into 3rds.  Try one with your favorite rub and wrapped in bacon.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • stike
    edited May 2012
    it works. all meat breaks down cooked slowly like that.  it just doesn't have much flavor from fat and connective tissue.

place i used to go to for lunch used to cook pork tenderloins, of all things, and call it pulled pork.  it broke down.  the texture was of very finely shredded fibers.  PP from a butt has much coarser fibers.  i'd imagine the loin would be in between.

i personally wouldn't cook the loin that way, because it will just become a conveyance for sauce, but it CAN be done.  it's cooking to 190 quickly which would make for hard dried pork.  done slowly, it will still fall apart.  just whether that is a good thing for this cut or not that's debatable
  • Mattlock
    Thanks, I have one in the freezer and was just wondering.
  • psalzer
    psalzer Posts: 108
    I cook my pork loin to 140, baste with a mixture of apple jelly and honey, slice and enjoy.
  • stike
    yeah, psalz... roasted is pretty good stuff.  i like to unroll them, stuff them, and tie, too.  or make loin bacon from them (stuff is famntastic)
  • Mattlock
    Loin bacon?  Sounds very interesting, I may need to search for this :)
  • stike
    commonly called 'canadian bacon'
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    As opposed to "back bacon"

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    'Back' meaning 'loin', eh?