Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Mini

Options
thetrim
thetrim Posts: 11,357
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Seems as though many of y'all have a Mini out there.  I currently have one XL and am looking to add a small or Mini (enough for a family of four w a 10yr old and 8 yr old).  Please let me know of your experiences with all.  Any idea on pricing for Mini vs. Small?

Many Thanks to All
=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Well I have not used a Mini before but have seen them at the store. 

I cook on a Small and it can cook about 4 good sized stakes. The Mini is well mini... It all depends on what you plan to do with the extra grill. If you want to use it side by side with the XL and just cooks some sides on it I would say the Mini might work best. If you want to use this new grill by itself sometimes I would highly recommend the Small. It gives you enough space to cook a main meat for your family. Just can't really do meat + sides or whatever like your XL can.

You can never really have enough grilling space and the Mini is not cheap, I would spend the extra and get the small. It is a lot more versatile . 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Here's a link to a Small vs Mini thread from a couple of months ago: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1137935/small-or-mini/p1
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • jakebge
    jakebge Posts: 79
    Options

I typically just cook for myself and the small is perfect. 

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    Here is a pricing source I like.
    http://www.bubbatim.com/Green_Book.php

I have a family of 6, wife,myself, a 9,7,5,3 year old and have been feeding them quite well on my mini. I got a mini woo from the ceramic grill store. I will be getting an xl in the next few weeks. I am sure my mini will still get lots of use. Made to hot dogs a couple times this weekend and just made two Cajun style filet mignons earlier today. We are thinking about taking it on a vacation with us. It's small enough not to think twice about taking it.
  • thetrim
    Options
    Thanks for the input.  i esp. liked the thread from before and I am sorry I didn't see that on my own.  Love the Egghead mentality on everything... It seems whichever direction I go, I'll be adding to other in a few years or sooner as the budget allows...
    I always discounted the Mini but after seeing what y'all do on it, it really got my mind working.
    Thanks again and I appreciate any and all further comments.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I sent a Mini to Afghanistan and they cooked 27 steaks the second night. I cook 4 burgers on it. Also 4 strips will fit or a large sirloin. I sold my small and bought a second Mini.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I sent a Mini to Afghanistan and they cooked 27 steaks the second night. I cook 4 burgers on it. Also 4 strips will fit or a large sirloin. I sold my small and bought a second Mini. 
    I don't care about how practical I believe this is, I just want to shout out a hooooah from US Army PEO STRI!

http://www.peostri.army.mil/

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mickey
    Options
    Help me Doc. PEO STRI?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Doc_Eggerton
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Help me Doc. PEO STRI?
    http://www.peostri.army.mil/

Until recently our motto was All But War is Simulation.  That lingered from when we were STRICOM.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mickey
    Options
    ThanksDoc. Do they have a large group here at Fort Hood? Just never ran into them.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    The Small and the mini are very versatile.  Here are tonight's cooks.  The mini did the veggies and the small the spatch'd chicken.  There are only the two of us so most of our cooks are on the mini and the small.  The large is for big family or friends cooks and baking.  
    veggies
    Chicken resting cooked on small

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    ThanksDoc. Do they have a large group here at Fort Hood? Just never ran into them.
    We are based in Orlando, but have Field Support Representatives  at many major commands.  There are many PEOs; such as PEO Soldier, Aviation, Ground Combat Systems, and on and on......

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I have done some work with this guy

http://www.peostri.army.mil/PAO/events/FILES/TSIS2010/06102010/TSIS2010_PMCATT_COLEspaillat.pdf

Just this month promoted to Brigadier.

• Mickey
    Options
    If at Hood will meet at some point. I am in the Military Affairs of the Chamber and we do a lot with leadership on post.

• thetrim
    Options
    Gents,

Not to go too long ago but I was the PIC of the FInal Pre-Fielding team for CATT out of Blackjack Brigade 1st CAV from Sep - Nov '96.  Like every one of my fellows we loved living at the old orlando Navy Base and heading to Research Parkway when the system was up.  I'm down in Tampa living as a civilian right now.  Good times
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Correction...OIC

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    The only thing keeping me from buying a mini is that the price is relatively maxi. 
  • thetrim
    Options
    I hardly use the mini now that I have a MiniMax
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • EGGHEAD83
    Options
    Love the small. It’s great as a stand alone cooker for four or five or as a companion for a large. Heats up quickly for week night cooks and uses very little lump. Couldn’t be happier. Don’t forget to get a small woo from Tom. 
    Large BGE, small BGE, 2-22” Weber kettles, 26” Weber kettle, Weber jumbo joe, 14” WSM, 17” BS and 36” BS. Hope Mills, NC. USA.