Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My BGE was stolen

sean4185
sean4185 Posts: 7
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone.  I had the unfortunate experience a week ago to find that my BGE medium had been stolen out of my garage.  I only had this model for about three months.  The total package included the egg, nest, side tables and place setter.  Its funny, when I bought this grill I thought to myself, there is no way someone would think of stealing this heavy SOB, but I was obviously wrong about that.  I had other expensive items in my garage that were not taken, only the grill, but without the cast iron vent for the top; good luck with using that.  My purpose of this statement is to let fellow eggheads know that just because our grills are heavy and cumbersome to move around doesn't mean they aren't targets for getting ripped off.  My replacement will have a special made table that will make it very difficult if not impossible to steal again.  Good luck everyone, and be sure that you can make it as hard as possible for your grill to be stolen.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I'm very sorry this happened to you Sean.  Damn people never let you have nice things.

Make it even harder and buy a XL this go around.  Once in a table, good look getting that behemoth out of the table. 
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Wow that really really sucks. Hope you have renters/homeowners insurance. What a major bummer. I would check my local craigslist for a while.I wish cops would fingerprint for stuff like that. Makes you feel violated.
  • Jrod72
    Jrod72 Posts: 67
    Sorry about your egg. I always think about this myself. I have a xl with a 6ft table in the back yard and can't see how that would be an easy target but never be surprised if someone would try. I guess if they get pass my english mastiff and my colt 45 their welcome!
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Yeah and ask your local dealers to look for someone looking for a dfmt only.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Go around town smelling everybody's shirt.  You'll know him when you get close.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Go around town smelling everybody's shirt.  You'll know him when you get close.
    Funny! (quote not incident). Thieves are some of the lowest forms of life. So sorry this happened to you.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • Mattlock
    Mattlock Posts: 64
    I'm thinking I need a lock on my gate, sorry man.
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!
  • hsh750
    hsh750 Posts: 30
    I have a Large in a table and a Small sitting on a nest beside the table. I have been keeping my gate locked. My wife got very paronoid about some one taking off with our Eggs, so I rigged a heavy duty cable to the hinges of both eggs and threaded the cable around the legs of the table then put a pad lock on the cable. If some one wants to work hard and take a lot of time to just get one of these eggs, I should have time load and fire!!!!
  • Yeah and ask your local dealers to look for someone looking for a dfmt only.
    Yes, yes, yes. Great call Gato. I had a dog stolen (seriously) several years ago. I called all the vets in my neighborhood and Told them to be on the lookout. Sure enough, this idiot ended up taking the dog to my vet! met the a$$hole at the vet when he took my dog in for shots the next day and had a nice chat.

This is great advice, Gato.

BTW- he changed my dog's name to Max for 24 hours. Dickweed (but I'm not still bitter after 10 years :).

And VI, that was funny.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    edited May 2012
    Stealing an egg is despicable.  But stealing a mans dog !?  Oh HELL no.   Cen Tex, you have more restraint than I would. 

Thats not a bad thing BTW... :)

• Stealing an egg is despicable.  But stealing a mans dog !?  Oh HELL no.   Cen Tex, you have more restraint than I would. 

I was not happy. Guy swears he ran away and came to his house. He just happened to have 2 other red golden retrievers just like mine and had him at the vet in 18 hrs to get his shots and change his name. Nice effort to find me ( he had a collar on with tags that mysteriously fell off somehow. It was heated to say the least.
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Keep checking your local for sale sites and eBay. You might see it listed.
  • Oh yeah, then the dude called me like 3 weeks later and asked if I would breed him with his female. I almost shot him.
  • tvest43
    tvest43 Posts: 20
    If caught, should be a death penalty for that......both the egg and the dog.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Ouch, crap, what a pain! I'm glad the daisy wheel was missed.

Seems like they knew what they wanted. Was it visible to the neighborhood when you used it? was it possible to get a vehicle up to the garage when no one would see?
  • Ouch, crap, what a pain! I'm glad the daisy wheel was missed.

Seems like they knew what they wanted. Was it visible to the neighborhood when you used it? was it possible to get a vehicle up to the garage when no one would see?
    Agreed. Get a rope.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    Stealing an egg is despicable.  But stealing a mans dog !?  Oh HELL no.   Cen Tex, you have more restraint than I would. 

I was not happy. Guy swears he ran away and came to his house. He just happened to have 2 other red golden retrievers just like mine and had him at the vet in 18 hrs to get his shots and change his name. Nice effort to find me ( he had a collar on with tags that mysteriously fell off somehow. It was heated to say the least.
    10 years is enough time, send his wife some red roses
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • sean4185
    When I used it, I wheeled it out of my garage just a few feet to use and there is an alley that runs behind the garage also so anyone could have been running down the alleys to scope things out, but once I had everything cooked, I put it back in the garage; never left outside overnight and only used a handful of times too.  I was thinking about going to a large and building a table for it to make it much more cumbersome to wheel around and I will certainly figure a way to chain it up so they'll have to fumble around for a while till I snag my 12 ga.  After everything is built, I may install a few cameras in the garage with IR capability and also pull my truck really close to the door where they couldn't get in except by trying to lift the garage door.  It's a good thing that I have another BGE at my old mans place so I'm not totally screwed on grillin out.
  • Newportlocal

With some explicit loving statements from one of her male coworkers saying don't know how you stay with him when you are always telling me how much better I am as a lover. :D
  • Stealing an egg is despicable.  But stealing a mans dog !?  Oh HELL no.   Cen Tex, you have more restraint than I would. 

With some explicit loving statements from one of her male coworkers saying don't know how you stay with him when you are always telling me how much better I am as a lover. :D
    :))

• OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    I always throw a cable through the hinge in the back that attaches to the house.  I figure I just need to make it hard enough to retire the spur of the moment thief or at least slightly harder to steal than my neighb
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    I'm about to go lock mine up.  So sorry this happened to you.  Made me stop and think though.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    You gotta admit, the thief had good taste.
  • Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    Ouch sorry to hear that man... wonder if he is a forum member, wonder if he has filed the sn off.
  • foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    Ouch sorry to hear that man... wonder if he is a forum member, wonder if he has filed the sn off.

I sure hope ALL of our forum members are higher classed citizens than the scumbag that took the egg. I am sorry to hear of this happening and sure hope that Karma is alive and well. 

john
  • spotco2
    spotco2 Posts: 61
    What area are you in?

I hate to hear someone stole your egg.
  • Newportlocal
    Just need to get a dog named Cannibal like the one in The Ref movie that chews pool balls.
  • DevDave
    DevDave Posts: 40
    Crazy to hear your Egg was stolen.  Mine is in the backyard, and protected by my Great Dane (r) Security.  While she's an inside dog, no one would dare enter our yard hearing her bark.
  • sean4185
    I'm around the Joliet, IL area.  When I get a new egg, I'll definitely make it more difficult to grab, that's for sure. My only reason for posting this was to let people know that there are individuals out there who are looking for these grills and won't let their weight stop their desire to get one.  Hopefully, those who never thought much about securing their grills to something will take the proper precautions; I know that I will next time.