Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket this weekend, Wish me luck!

Options
SoCal_Griller
SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Bought a 4 pound flat from Costco.  I plan on keeping it simple, rub, plate setter legs up, drip pan and grill.  Throwing in some Hickory chunks and cooking at 270 +/- 20 to 185 then pulling it and wrapping with foil, towels and in a cooler for a few hours.  Sound about right?
Simi Valley, California
LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot

Comments

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Good luck....check for tenderness at 185-190, but don't assume it's done then. I would pull when probe EASILY slides in the flat...usually more like 200+/- for me.
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    OK So temp is not always the best indicator then.  Just like chicken, I check temp, tenderness (test the joints) and clear liquids.  Thanks for the tip!
    Simi Valley, California
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Quinn is on it. Check that your probe slides in easily in the thickest part of the flat. That's when it's done. Usually between 185-205
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    For making burnt ends from a point, does the temperature of the point matter at all?  Or is it forgiving enough and fatty enough that you should or could just go by time in the egg?
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    Good luck. I think I am going to do my first one this weekend too.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Drphil9001
    Drphil9001 Posts: 29
    Options
    I just did one for Mother's Day...Dry rub over night, then on to the BGE with the plate setter and tried to keep the temp around 200. Let it go for 6-7 hours. Then let it rest over night in the fridge and sliced it up in the morning and wrapped it in foil and back on the BGE at 300-375 until it was heated through.

It was perfection!

Good luck!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options

Brisket flats are all I can get and they run 5-8#'s. I see around 1.8-2.1 hrs/# at a calibrated dome of 250*F +/-.  After it passes the"probe slides in an out like butter in the thickest part of the flat test (somewhere around 190-205*F +/-) if not time to slice and eat I will wrap in HDAF and rest in a cooler (with towels). Been lucky so far.
    Check these sites for more info; <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html
    All the info you will ever need. Enjoy the journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Thanks to everybody for the advice.  I plan on applying the rub this evening and then up early tomorrow to put'er on the Egg.  I'll take some pix, after all not is my first Briskit!
    Simi Valley, California
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    Well,...  Let me just start out by saying the brisket was the beast I ever made, but, being my first that's not saying much.   It was NOT the best I have ever had... by far.  The end result was a little tough and dry, I think my wife's words were "its swallowable"  :-O

Out of the gate, I had a fire problem.  I put large pieces of lump on the grate and then dumped some lump on top of that.  I had a hard time getting the fire started and was concerned about air flow.  After a bit, the fire seemed to catch and I tried locking the dome temp in @ 200, but had a real hard time keeping the temp down and settled in @ 275 with the bottom damper pretty much closed and the DW slightly open.  So my cook was higher than I would have liked, it wandered around between 260 and 280, bumped up against 300 twice but only for maybe ten minutes at most.  For 99% of the cook I had the bottom damper just cracked and the DW barley open keeping a lot of smoke inside the egg, maybe a little to much.

Also at the end of the cook it seemed like the fire went out a couple of times, I noticed the internal temp of the meat started to drop, so I opened up the dampers usually swinging to high.

I pulled it at 194 after testing for tenderness (clearly I need to work on that!) and wrapped in foil, towels and into a cooler for about 2.5 hours.

I included a graph of the internal temp of the brisket.  Kind of interesting....

This was by far the longest smoke I have pulled off, it took about 9 hours, so was definitely a challenge for me.  Cant wait for next time.
    :\">

So here are the stats:
    4.6 pound flat.
    Cooked for about 9 hours.
    Temp was mostly between 260 and 280.  Lowest was 250, highest was 350.
    Simi Valley, California
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lot of fluctuation in that fire. Gotta get that dialed. Also, it's very common for the meat to go down a few degrees during the stall. It is been cooed by the juices running out. Don't mess with the temp when this happens. Just ride it out and you'll be fine.

Grab another one this week and do it again. You will learn a ton and you won't have forgotten all the things that went wrong. I made them and gave them people while learning. They weren't my best but none of them got returned :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX