Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza stone ahhhhhhh!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OKAY...i blew it the first time i made a pizza...burnt crust..pizza stone directly on top of the grill....next time i used the raised grill and put the pizza on a stone on top of that...burnt, somewhat less, but burnt crust...now i have folks over for dinner...can i use some rocks or bricks under the pizza stone on top of the raised grill to help with the cooking? i'm not sure what the firebricks are (yes, newbie) but i'll be sure to find out next time! thanks
gogo

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    gogogumbo,[p]create an airspace between the pizza stone and the pizza. i use a second grid on top of the pizza stone. I haven't burnt the crust since doing it this way.[p]Scott

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    gogogumbo, you definitely want something to deflect the heat of the fire from the bottom of your stone. That's what the plate setter set up described by vr6Cop below does.[p]Putting bricks, or a large drip pan between your 2 grids with the stone on the top grid should do you a lot better.[p]Make sure your fire is stable. Get a plate setter when you have the time and money. It makes pizza easy.[p]Firebricks are just bricks made to withstand heat. I dont know of any danger of using any other kind of brick, other than ruining the brick.[p]Keep trying. It's worth figuring out.
    Scott

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi gogogumbo,
    Buy a couple of pizza screens(link), about 5 bucks apiece plus shipping, it will provide that air gap you need.
    My local Safeway sells a type of pizza screen.
    Firebricks are just heat resistant bricks, yellow in color.
    Look in the phone book under masonry supply.
    bruce

[ul][li]http://www.abestkitchen.com/store/pizzapage.html[/ul]
  • J Straus
    J Straus Posts: 54
    Options
    gogogumbo,[p]Also you may try cornmeal down on the stone, and that will provide a little airspace between pizza and stone. When we do pizzas, we do them pretty thin crust (1/4") or so and I try not to exceed 500 degrees. Half the time, we do them direct on the grid, and then you really want to be in the 450 range, and very thin crust. If your crust is done before toppings and cheese, then reduce heat. [p]J

• Unknown
    Options
    Dude, you are me! Except I had it mastered at one time and now have gone brain dead. I wish I had my pictures back! Ahhhhhhh!!!! I started thinking I used a place setter, now I "see" one of my pics in my mind and you can see the red-purple glow of the coals in the egg while I'm shoveling the pizza off. Now I just don't know...[p]*sigh* [p]I use regular bricks wrapped in foil, btw. You're not supposed to, but I forgot why, and I do it anyway. Last fall, before the baby, I obviously drank way too much beer while cooking on the egg.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    J Straus,
    amen.
    cornmeal and 500-or 550.[p]ALSO
    if you are doing multiple pizzas, you can take a wet cloth and wipe the stone between pizzas. it'll take some of the ehat off, and give the crust more time before burning.[p]i've also tossed the stone below a lifted grid, and done the pizza on the grid alone, using the stone to deflect direct heat

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BigAL
    BigAL Posts: 29
    Options
    gogogumbo,
    I have cooked pizzas both with and without the plate setter. My problem was always sticking on the prep pan but started using parchment paper and it works great. I slide the whole pizza paper and all to the stone and it makes it a cinch to take off too. I used the plate setter the last cook and had it upside down and then the grate and stone on top of that. It takes about 15 min at 450 to 500 degrees...we made pepperoni and hamburger (pre cooked the burger)....Just keep trying and you will perfect it, I am sure...