Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crazy Drunk Brisket Cook

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Went to a pool party at a buddies house yesterday and played some very ill-advised drinking games involving tossing a watermelon on to a pool raft for rum shots.....Well apparently I lost. I'm having a party today (same crew, paybacks are hell) and had to do a brisket last night at midnight. I couldn't even see straight (seriously) and my wife was "worried about me". It was bad.

Anyhow, I got the brisket on within an hour but I couldn't wait to mess with the temp- I was cooked. It was 323 grill temp when I put it on and I eyeballed it and set the draft door and daisy to what looked right to my wandering eyeballs at the time. Turned the alarm off my Maverick because I knew I wasn't getting up no matter what. I figured I would just go buy some brisket from Rudy's if I screwed it up.

Woke up this morning at 8:30 to a Dome temp 259 and internal of 198! Hilarious. had to be hot for a while since it only took 8.5 hours to cook a 8.5 lb brisket. It's in a cooler now but it was like butter when I pulled it off.

Just goes to show that even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while :))  And a perfect example of why not to stress and panic when things go a little sideways. I was wrecked and did every single thing you aren't supposed to do and it turned out perfect.

Have a good Memorial Day all!

Cen-Tex

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• hartofatiger
    hartofatiger Posts: 204
    .......and the party never ends! Good job and here's to more fun today!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• .......and the party never ends! Good job and here's to more fun today!
    It was a mess and the thought of lubricating the death machine again today has me queasy.

I'll muddle through

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Better to be lucky than good any day...and it sounds like one of the following type days..."I would have to rally to die":)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Better to be lucky than good any day...and it sounds like one of the following type days..."I would have to rally to die":)
    Great quote. I just opened a beer and my wife just rolled here eyes. Not going down easy.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    CTS,

I thought you were a serious tea totaler, puritan, Buddhist monk, role model.  I am so disillusioned now I think I will be forced to make hamburgers on the XL :-)

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• CTS,

I thought you were a serious tea totaler, puritan, Buddhist monk, role model.  I am so disillusioned now I think I will be forced to make hamburgers on the XL :-)

You got me Doc. Just an isolated incident in a life otherwise filled with stellar behavior :)

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    I salute thee.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    BBQ'd for the family all weekend and also made nachos. I have been making blender margaritas all weekend for my wife. It's been fun for me, but she is occasionally giving me dirty looks when I bring her the next one. I used up my quota been sober since 1989. My wife is quite friendly to me when she knocks some back ;)
  • Friendly is good :D
  • Well, the hits keep coming. Just talked to my buddy who threw the party and he said he "went to bed" at 7 last night. I now have 5 hours unaccounted for before cooking the brisket. He woke up at 3:30am and couldn't go back to bed so he made himself some pulled pork tacos (his was awesome) and a rum and Ginger Ale. Off to the races............

BTW- he larded his butts with Serrano Peppers and Garlic. It was amazing. It's a take of on a restaurant close to us but his was WAY better. You could taste it in every bite and it was just amazing. I'll be doing that from now on. He calls the Garlic S-Bomb ( S =Serrano). I call it bad-ass. He's bringing it over, I'll take some pics

• Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Oh man that sounds awesome! Does he make a paste out of the peppers and garlic then rub that on? Glad you survived yesterday, I haven't tied one on like that since I got out of the Army.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • Oh man that sounds awesome! Does he make a paste out of the peppers and garlic then rub that on? Glad you survived yesterday, I haven't tied one on like that since I got out of the Army.
    I wish I could say it had been a long time but this one was pretty bad. I usually drink the same stuff so I know my limits (which is laughable because my limits are well beyond social :)

He takes a larding iron and stuffs them inside the butt  they just roast in there for 20 hours and man is it good! When you pull it, thy end up in the pan and infuse flavor. The BBQ place by us slices it so there is a garlic stuffed jalapeno slice in every slice of butt. It's really good but this one blew them away.

• Newportlocal
    Not being as savvy where do you buy a larding iron. That sounds unbelievably good. Any additional photos or description would be appreciated.
  • Not being as savvy where do you buy a larding iron. That sounds unbelievably good. Any additional photos or description would be appreciated.
    I use my knife steel to do it. I do a larded rib roast this way too. I do garlic, jalapenos, provolone. It's awesome.

Here's a tip: freeze everything before stuffing them in. It makes them firmer and they slide in better. Just run your steel (he just used a knife and his fingers) through the butt  or roast and cover the stuff in olive oil then stuff them in and push them further with your steel. Do it in several places and voila! Larded Roast or butts

Now you are as savvy :)

I'll get pics when he comes over. He has been drinking rum and gingers since 3:30 am so I'll get some pics of him too. Should be coming in hot so it could be funny

• Newportlocal
    Not being as savvy where do you buy a larding iron. That sounds unbelievably good. Any additional photos or description would be appreciated.
    I use my knife steel to do it. I do a larded rib roast this way too. I do garlic, jalapenos, provolone. It's awesome.

Here's a tip: freeze everything before stuffing them in. It makes them firmer and they slide in better. Just run your steel (he just used a knife and his fingers) through the butt  or roast and cover the stuff in olive oil then stuff them in and push them further with your steel. Do it in several places and voila! Larded Roast or butts

I'll get pics when he comes over. He has been drinking rum and gingers since 3:30 am so I'll get some pics of him too. Should be coming in hot so it could be funny

Thanks for the description i can do that. I appreciate joining the savvy club. Hmm.. Sounds almost like something else.... Anyway I digress :D
  • Not being as savvy where do you buy a larding iron. That sounds unbelievably good. Any additional photos or description would be appreciated.

Thanks for the description i can do that. I appreciate joining the savvy club. Hmm.. Sounds almost like something else.... Anyway I digress :D
    Same thoughts when I wrote it :)

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited May 2012
    I don't think you were lucky CTS, just let it flow like Luke turning off the targeting computer.

And here I thought this would be a Travis style braising tread.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

So, take it that your not very good at throwing watermelons on floating rafts!

Sounds like a fun couple of days ...

Cookin in Texas
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    =)) Great story, but not sure I believe it....where are the pictures?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• This is all I could muster before goingndownnfornrhe count. Sadly it tasted like a drink moron cooked it but it got destroyed anyway. Everyone thought it was great but you could really tell it was too hot for most of the cook (pretty dry). The dizzy resets was really good though.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    ???
    By the look of the maverick, your brisket was heating your egg.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I was just gonna say that.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited May 2012
    Looking for the learning experience absent the alcohol influence, it would read through the cold light of day that the higher cook brisket temp (approaching turbo) would rely heavily on foil to reduce the dry texture or am I extrapolating too much here?  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Yeah, just noticed that myself. The probes were switched- funny. Good greif I need to treat myself better. And I meant to say that the Dizzy REDEYE was good. Not resets.

Cap- it was 259 when I woke up so not sure how long it was hot. Too long obviously
  • Newportlocal
    That's funny with the probes switched. Drinking was definitely involved. Good to hear the follow p.
  • That's funny with the probes switched. Drinking was definitely involved. Good to hear the follow p.
    I'm an idiot but that's pretty funny
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

CTS,

Funniest post I've seen in a long while. I have that t-shirt too

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CTS,

Funniest post I've seen in a long while. I have that t-shirt too

My mom would be so proud :)

Good Grief 
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

IDIOTS UNITE!!

CENTEX That is pretty aewsome. And I applaud you. I can see into the future of me doing something so historic.

Drinking and cooking goes hand n hand.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• IDIOTS UNITE!!

CENTEX That is pretty aewsome. And I applaud you. I can see into the future of me doing something so historic.

Drinking and cooking goes hand n hand.

ah- Look who's back! Catch any fish?