Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Komodo Kamado Extruded Coconut Lump ?s

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

Anybody ever tried this stuff? I was given 12 "logs" of it yesterday from a fellow Egghead and was just wondering if anybody else had any experience. They measure out at 9" by 2". Do you break it into smaller pieces first? Any special way to stack it, or just dump it in?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• seanwiley
    seanwiley Posts: 27
    Options
    I have several cases and have been using it. I break a few up to help them get started and then lay a few additional whole logs on top. The advantage I find is that it burns very consistently at low temperatures and has very little filler in it so far, far less ash to clog holes and such than with other charcoal. However, I strongly prefer regular lump for any high temp cooking
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Here's a link to my review: Komodo Kamado Sustainable Coconut Charcoal

When broken into 1-2 inch pieces, it burns as hot as almost any lump.  In an open kettle grill, it burns hotter than Royal Oak lump and Wicked Good briquettes.  Komodo Kamado decided to sell it in the logs because it was so much easier/quicker/cheaper to pack than if he did the 1.5" pieces.

And of course, this charcoal is the real deal, not to be confused with the absolute crap sold by Richard Johnson and his Kamado company.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Smokin Professor
    Options
    I'm down to 3-4 cases from a pallet of Philippine extruded charcoal that I bought in 2004, and this charcoal appears to be very similar. I love the stuff for low-slow cooks for how it burns as well as the light, somewhat sweet flavor that the smoke adds to the cook. I'm glad to see that I will be able to replace what I am using now with a quality coconut product.