Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High to Low Heat

Options
SteveWPBFL
SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
My wife would like to have pizza for dinner tonight for dinner, around 6:00 pm.
I need to start a low and slow pork shoulder by 7:00 pm to be done in the morning.
I'm trying to figure out best wat change from a 450F-500F cook to a 250F cook in a very short time.
Douse the coals, remove, and restart?
Just close down the lower vent at the end of pizza, add lump and wood chunks, and throw in the pork while still high heat until throttled down to 250F?
Or what?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited May 2012
    Options

Never dealt directly with your issue from that high temp but I would not douse the coals, you will likely consume a fair amount of lump with the pizza cook-once done with that I would remove the platesetter (very quickly) or whatever diffuser you use and throttle down the vents to your low&slow temp-then after an hour or so, add the lump you will need along with soaked (just for cooling purposes) chips/chunks, platesetter and the butt.  Some time at a higher temp on the way down to your 250+/- isn't going to make much difference in the duration of the low&slow cook. 

On a side note-search "turbo butt" for the high temp, short time cooks.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    Options
    I'm no expert, but wouldn't dousing it cause thermal shock in the ceramics and risk cracking it?
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Options
    I'd use a small pile for the pizza...it will burn off quickly.   If there is any coal left just open the lid and let it everything burn off....reload and then set it up for low/slow.  I wouldn't douse the coals myself.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Not dousing! I like the small amount of lump idea. But I solved it by making the pizza in the oven just this one time!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    You dont need to douse, but you sure as hell can. I did it once at an eggfest even.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mattlock
    Mattlock Posts: 64
    Options
    I had a similar issue Sarurday, I just shut it down for an hour and popped in a cold plate setter.

Do you have any cast iron? Maybe freeze some water in it and place it on there afterwards to draw out heat while shutting the vents, then relight after 45 minutes.
    Newbie Egghead - Just got a LBGE at the Georgia Eggfest! Life is Good!