Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

umani burger

smokesniffer
smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well, I was having lunch for one, so thought I'd do a burger. Just built one single burger with fish sauce, s&p. Had bacon, raw onions, pickles and tomatoes and mushrooms. Grilled at 425. Turned out very good. 
Thanks to Tweev for steering me onto this.
You da man!
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    edited May 2012
    Ditto. I think it was Tweev who showed me the way of umami. Anyway, I don't do burgers without the fish sauce. Tweev is the MASTER....bater..(insert rimshot).LOL...I kid. Thanks to whomever first posted the umami burger recipe site.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited May 2012
    .... and I showed Tweeve, but who am I to bask in glory.  I am but a poor man, struggling to make ends meet.  I do not seek fame and fortune, like Tweeve.  I only want to share any morsel of information I have learned to my friends here on the forum.

Let Tweeve bathe in the kudos, strutting like a Banty rooster.  I will sit in the corner, content that my friends here have upgraded their cooking abilities to amaze their families and friends.

Peace be with you.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Fish sauce in the burgers?  You got a recipe?

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Gary,

Tweev is an original. I can't believe you would suggest he would copy an idea.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    edited May 2012

Gary,

Tweev is an original. I can't believe you would suggest he would copy an idea.

You are right, Steve.  I am so ashamed.  
    It appears that Richard Fl wants the recognition too.

I say, let them all have it.  Even though I brought it to the Egghead community, risking ridicule, disdain,  and contempt, I want them to be the ones to receive the accolades, the glory, the honors, and the fame.

That's the kind of guy I am.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I've been using chopped anchovies in burgers for years but do you hear me complaining?  Man get withh the program..there are guys that are way ahead of our meagre efforts...Top men

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    I've been using chopped anchovies in burgers for years but do you hear me complaining?  Man get withh the program..there are guys that are way ahead of our meagre efforts...Top men
    Tweeve rules !!!!! 

:))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I have been doing fish sauce since Viet Nam.  how old is Tweev??
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Guys, its just a freekin' hamburger.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    In respect to raising my post count, I bet Tweev will be willy willy WILLY happy to see himself/herself painted in such a beautiful, fishy smelling light!!
  • smokesniffer
    edited May 2012
    @VI. my apologies. I now understand that U R DA MAN!. It was my mistake. It will never happen again.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • @VI. my apologies. I now understand that U R DA MAN!. It was my mistake. It will never happen again.
    VI is fine.good god, he's a normal dude like the rest of us. relax

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • smokesniffer
    Hey just playing :D
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Hey just playing :D
    me too. all good

• Hey just playing :D
    we may be on the same page here..............
  • smokesniffer
    looks interesting. How do ya do that?
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Village Idiot
    Folks, my posts were tongue in cheek.  I was just trying to get a rise out of Tweeve.

As far as the truth, here is my recollection.

The term, umami, was first introduced to the forum by the fantastic chef, Patricio Wise (PWise or Pato), formerly from Monterrey, MX).  He made a thread about umami, using his purchase of Italian colutera (a fish sauce made in Italy since the Roman Empire).  Some googling of "umami" found the "white on rice" couple's webpage on the ultimate umami burger.  Click here.   

A while later, Tweeve posted their exact recipe, but didn't give them credit (I'm sure it was an oversight).  He caught grief for that for quite a while.  I suppose that was the basis for my tongue in cheek remarks.  I apologize to Tweeve, Little Steven, and RichardFl.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Ottawa_Eggman
    Ottawa_Eggman Posts: 111
    It's really easy - you can even bend them into different shapes when they are still warm..  Also, like all cheese, pretty tasty.

Very tasty in a salad too
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Love the banter that being said this umami burgers is going on the top of my list for things to try. Thanks for the awareness.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    credit can be shared, of course, but i thought it was AZscott who first suggested (on the other forum) making an Umami burger.  Was in a thread by Pato, who was asking for suggestions to improve his burgers.  After AZ Scott mentioned it, a few people really took to it and popularized it (again, on the forum. it had been around before that as far as i know, elsewhere) 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    nope.  close though.  it was boilermaker ben, in that same Pato thread i was mis-rememberin'
    clickey the linkey:>> HERE

• stike
    edited May 2012
    for the recrd, and to no one in particular: not sure anyone was accusing anyone of being a DB or non-sharing.  just seemed to be one person awful invested in who got "credit" for popularizing something to this crowd.  i agree, it's hard to take credit for something a million people are already doing.  kinda the reason i trip over myself to give credit to ruhlman et al, lest the mere mention of 'curing' by me cause someone to accuse me of claiming to invent the concept, which has happened.

damned if did, damned if didn't, typically.
  • Village Idiot
    edited May 2012
    This thread has become hilarious.  As I mentioned above, my posts were tongue in cheek about Tweeve inadvertently giving out the white on rice recipe without credit (again, unintentionally) and I was having fun with that.  Tweeve and I have messaged back and forth and we are good.

Then, several folks took it seriously, as if anyone really gives a flying f*ck who introduced umami to the forum(s).  The bottom line is that no one here invented the technique of adding fish sauce to food ... that was done 3,000 years ago.  It just seems that they are interested in poking digs at others, whether it be me, Tweeve, or whomever.  It is also interesting to note that these detractors are incidental posters here, making their primary lair in other venues.  As for me, I could do without their benefitting us with their expertise and cooks with recipes that they never seem to post here.

If I'm wrong, I'll leave this forum to them.  Stike, I am going to cook Tonkatsu tonight.  I was going to post it on the forum tomorrow.  Why don't you do that instead of me?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited May 2012
    Great thread, SE Asia ''67-'71 for me and fish sauce.  Now who is going to start a thread about chocolate in Mexican food ?

PS VI since my loney does not fit your palate, why not try  sausage and a regular fatty stuffed with mac & cheese, unless you do not like m/c. Luv U!
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Great thread, SE Asia ''67-'71 for me and fish sauce.  Now who is going to start a thread about chocolate in Mexican food ?

PS VI since my loney does not fit your palate, why not try  sausage and a regular fatty stuffed with mac & cheese, unless you do not like m/c. Luv U!

Holy mole! With a plantain side dish.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607

i need to try these burgers out based on the hoopla in here..

btw- does it pay anymore to be the person that first mentioned how to make these?

• smokesniffer
    time for a group hug,  ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    @ tweev thanks for the recipe, going to give parmesan cheese cracker a whirl next time.
    steaks going on the grill tonight.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    =)) =)) =; O:-) =))
    Large, small, and a mini