Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Need some honest input...BGE vs. Kamado Vision as a gift

The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,712
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
We are pitching in and getting my FIL an egg for Father's Day. My Bro-in-law found the Kamado Vision at Costco for $560 with nest, side tables, "platesetter" etc. It's loaded. That's $600 cheaper than a Large Egg and still a hell of a present. Any serious concerns about giving him the Kamado? Anyone use one that has doubts or concerns?

Thanks

(PS- I'm considering giving him my Large for $500 and getting an XL, but that is in negotiations at this time. Keep you posted)

Comments

• Sorry but I'm voting Kamado and $600 gift certificate to a nice butcher.
    Ha! He can buy his own meat if I. It him a kamado

• JasperJasper Posts: 378
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a cheap "made in China" knockoff for someone. Will you help him take it back to Costco when it cracks?
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    edited May 2012
    Why not just give him the Large for Father's Day and go buy your XL?  You will save $60 that way and he will have a real Egg.

Also, get your Brother in law to fork over $250 to you for half the cost of the Large.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,902
    +1 With VI-besides then he will have the LBGE toys and that's another bonus...sounds like a win-win.  And you can cook the Father's Day banquet on his LBGE or your XLBGE or both...
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • NewportlocalNewportlocal Posts: 474
    Blasphemy!
  • I hear you all. The toys are the same so that's not an issue. Dude is old and not in great shape so we need 5 yrs out of it. Still want to work my XL. We'll see how it works.

• paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,710
    I purchased the Vision at Costco and decided to return it and get the LBGE at twice the price... At first, I was satisfied with the Vision but then started having problem. The gasket fried because the top dome was not alligned with the bottom vessel. The base of the firebox was not flat and the floor of the bottom vessel was not leveled so everything was shaking up to a point where I often had to push the grid to be able to close the dome when opening it during a cook. Also, I had to remove material from 2 of the legs on the cart using a dremel to be able to screw the wheels.

I sent an email to customer support and received a call from the owner within a few minutes. He was aware of the problem with the cart because it was reported by several other new owners. He offered to send me a replacement but it was not necessary at this point because I fixed it with my dremel. About the shaking firebox, the gentlemen suggested to "sand" the firebox on a flat concrete surface. It helped a bit but the floor of the bottom vessel not being leveled, the firebox was still shaking... After a few weeks of usage, the firebox cracked...

I sent 2 more emails more than a month ago and have not received any answer or call...

The fact that they called within minutes after sending my first email tells me that they care about their customers but they are probably overhelmed with problems related to poor manufacturing processes.

I have got a BGE last weekend and I am satisfied. The BGE does not look as good as the Vision (in my opinion) but it is of a much better quality. The food tastes the same as in the BGE...

Right now, I am trying to figure out a way to return it at Costco...

We were going to get the vision at Costco but it was out of stock and we ended up finding the premium version of the vision at home depot on display and from there we decided to get the bge because the paint was chipping on this floor model and it just wasn't as fine tuned as the bge. Now that I have the XL too I can't imagine going smaller
  • NewportlocalNewportlocal Posts: 474
    Hope he gets your large and you get an xl. Sounds like a win win scenario.
  • EggucatedEggucated Posts: 212
    There is one VERY important thing you get with the egg that can't be matched by any other cooker.... This forum! Give him your L, get your XL and we add another member to the forum!
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • njlnjl Posts: 826
    The Vision I saw at Costco, it didn't look like the top vent was removable...just adjustable.  If that's the case, can it get to the super high temp range the BGE can do with the dome closed?
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,710
    The Vision I saw at Costco, it didn't look like the top vent was removable...just adjustable.  If that's the case, can it get to the super high temp range the BGE can do with the dome closed?
    The top is removable. It actually is really easy to control the temperature and will go as hot (if not hotter) than the BGE. Good quality material but poor craftsmanship...

+1 !!!
    Only 3 things in life matter. Family, Steelers and my BGE!!
  • Thank all. Appreciate the input. I'll Let you know how it shakes out.

• There is one VERY important thing you get with the egg that can't be matched by any other cooker.... This forum! Give him your L, get your XL and we add another member to the forum!
    Yeah, he does not even do email and have never been on the web in his life so the forum will have to do without on this one :)

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    and I'd bet more than a few non-BGE Kamado owners cruise the BGE forums anyway. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • and I'd bet more than a few non-BGE Kamado owners cruise the BGE forums anyway. 
    That's what I figured. I would.