Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

25 Hour Pulled Pork

EggucatedEggucated Posts: 212
edited May 2012 in Pork

Ok so after 24 hours at 205 degrees on the grate I pulled the butt, wrapped in HDAF, removed the platesetter and increased the heat to 375.  The butt was at 184, and took another hour and a half to hit 200.  Oh when I wrapped in HDAF I checked, it was tender, but not fall apart tender.

So my question is do I have a huge lump of dried pork jerky now?  Not sure what to expect, have it wrapped in a towel sitting out for an hour or so to rest.

Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
·

Comments

• troutgeektroutgeek Posts: 456
    Are you saying you had the egg at 205 for 24 hours? I would have the egg at 250 or so for however many hours until the butt gets to 205.
    Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber 22.5" One-Touch - Weber Smokey Joe
    ·
  • EggucatedEggucated Posts: 212
    edited May 2012
    Yeah, I did two 8lb butt's on Tuesday and they were done at the 16 hour mark.  Same temp, same everything this time one 8lb butt took 25 1/2 hours.  205 at the grate was 245 or so Dome.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
    ·
  • hogsfanhogsfan Posts: 128
    I've done this and have not had much luck with lower cooking temps compared to say 250 or so. It seems like after a certain point, the meat starts losing moisture. That doesn't meat it will be "jerky" but it may benefit from sauce. I find that the smoke and flavor is great but the texture just needs a little wetter mouth feel. That's just my experience though. Your's may be different. 
    ·
    It was awesome, great texture, moist and nice smoke ring. Gotta love a good butt, very forgiving.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,639
    edited May 2012
    Glad it worked-out.  Must admit , I admire your patience and this is the classic example of "no two hunks of meat cook the same". Enjoy-you have certainly earned it.
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • hogsfanhogsfan Posts: 128
    Awesome! Sounds great!
    ·
    Thanks lousubcap. It certainley proved it was worth the wait, I'm going to try a turbo butt next time I do pulled pork again. I think my next low and slow will be another brisket. Thinking abut ordering sauce and rub from Saltlick...
    ·
  • AdamdAdamd Posts: 160
    Wow do you cook low and slow! 

I don't think I could wait 24 hours needless to say all that time checking it. But I guess at 200 you don't have much of a fire going and I am sure there is not a ton of temp change going on or is there? I never cooked that low before.
    ·