Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One more brisket question

Options
atouchofsmokeWP
atouchofsmokeWP Posts: 45
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Sup yall, been lurking for a while and finally got the table built and egg crankin about a month ago. Love it and have been wearing it out. All this brisket talk this weekend has me ready to attempt numero 1. I was hoping costco would have one large one but they only had 2 left that equaled about 8 pounds, the largest one being close to 5 and the other one 3. Am i asking for a disaster for my first one? About how long would you anticipate the large one taking and should i throw the smaller one on later than the large? Marinate or rub recs also appreciated.

Thanks!
Franklin, TN

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You are not looking at disaster but I've never been able to get those real small ones tender before they dry out. The 5 lbr should be great and you may be able to get the little one to behave as well.

Throw the small one on 2-3 hours after the big

Rub: what do you have? I like Dizzy Pig but I use 10 different ones. Any good rub will be great so use what you got or can get without too much trouble.

Assume 2 he's per lb at 250 dome and that should get you close. May be done earlier but that gives you plenty of time
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options

Here's the brisket reading list-and it is worth the time while you are watching the BGE-

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html
    All the info you will ever need. Enjoy the journey-and remember it is "done when it is done" and that will be somewhere 190-205+/-.  The real test is when a probe goes in and out of the thickest part of the flat like butter.  If finished early FTC (foil, towels and cooler) til ready to slice and eat.  It will dry out quickly once sliced (and slice against the grain).

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tvest43
    tvest43 Posts: 20
    Options
    I ain't much on store bought marinades, but I'm gonna tell ya', that Stubbs Beef Marinade is great for brisket and steaks.....only one I will use.....have a rub recipe I always use, but too long of an ingredient list to post for now.   It's killer.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I ain't much on store bought marinades, but I'm gonna tell ya', that Stubbs Beef Marinade is great for brisket and steaks.....only one I will use.....have a rub recipe I always use, but too long of an ingredient list to post for now.   It's killer.
    If it's killer, you need to share with the class......................
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tvest43
    Options

Ok, here ya' go....this stuff is the bomb

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

1/4 cup granulated sugar

2 tbsp. dark chili powder

2 tbsp. smoke paprika

1 tbsp. oregano

1 tbsp. dry thyme

1 tbsp. sweet basil

2 tbsp. garlic powder

2 tsp. dry mustard

1 tsp. cayenne pepper

Just try it once, you'll use it on everything......

• tvest43
    Options

Well, not everything, would go to well on chicken.........  lol

• tvest43
    Options

would NOT go to well on chicken

• atouchofsmokeWP
    Options
    Thanks guys, great info
    Franklin, TN